Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac. All files were meant

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac. All files were meant to be transferred to my Mac by Geek Squad. It took a justanswer person to help me find my email contacts - a very helpful and simple tip to search for the file format led me right to them. Now I have realized that I am missing emails that I "saved" on the PC in Outlook - saving them by putting them in folders on the left side of the Outlook screen. I can find emails that were in my inbox b/c there is a folder for my email server, but not these saved ones. Any clues on how I can search for them? Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Did the Geek sqaud say they transfered your stored email for you to or did they just setup your mail on the Mac? Is your email account IMAP or POP?

Customer:

transferred the stored email along with everything else

Customer:

it's a POP

Customer:

they then mentioned today that I would need to use entourage, which I have on the mac, to find the emails

Mike the MacMedic :

Did you open Entourage are your emails there?

Customer:

no

Customer:

meaning, I opened entourage but they aren't there. Geek squad transferred everything into a "backup" folder and it's very hard to search.

Mike the MacMedic :

Sorry but you need to ask them what format they saved your email in and how you are supposed to import it. I can‘t guess at that. You have paid them to do it make them do it. Good luck.

Customer:

they said they would have been pst, but that the mac can't find pst. i agree it is ridiculous but I'm trying to save another trip out there.

Customer:

they said entourage could find pst, but it's not clear how to search the Mac in entourage.

Mike the MacMedic :

Search through the Backup folder for.pst

Customer:

ok - did it - there is an outlook.pst and a archive.pst but I can't get them to open?

Mike the MacMedic :

you need a converter like this: http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/

Customer:

ok - will it be self explanatory? I'm not as stupid as my texts make me appear although I am bad at computer problems

Mike the MacMedic :

It should be if you need help come back here.

Customer:

ok I'll come back regardless - thank you

Mike the MacMedic :

OK let me know

Customer:

bam - it worked. awesome. now just one more step if you can help - I can open the emails now when I click on them through the finder and they come up as Mail files - so that's awesome. Is there a way to move all the emails to the Mail display - meaning, can they show up as subfolders and how do you do that? by the way, thanks so much - I can get my messages with attachments and everything - you really helped me. thanks

Mike the MacMedic :

I don‘t know the software that well I can check, but it would probably be tomorrow before I can answer

Mike the MacMedic :

Here is the Manual I would have to buy it to walk you through. http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/doc/Emailchemy_User_Manual.pdf

Customer:

We're probably OK. Thanks Mike.