Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I use a MacBook Pro and Entourage is the my preferred email

Customer Question

I use a MacBook Pro and Entourage is the my preferred email program. At my home I use a cable modem and have no problem, but at my studio I have changed to DSL and can no longer SEND email through Entourage. I get this message:_{Error_The SMTP server for "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" does not recognize any of the authentication methods supported by Entourage. To send mail, try disabling SMTP authentication in the account settings or talk to your administrator._Explanation_Authentication is required before sending [R0107005]}_Entourage will not allow me to disable the SMTP authentication._Is there a fix for this.....or a MAC upgrade for Entourage that will allow this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike the MacMedic :

Try switching the SMTP port to 587. Some DSL providers block port 25.

Customer:

In my account I only found a box that said "Override default SMTP port" and 25 was highlighted. So I changed it to 587, and it did not work. I had done this before, and each time I go back into the Account, it is back to port 25.

Mike the MacMedic :

Is this what it looks like?

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes, that is what it looks like, and now I get the message:

Customer:

(Oops sorry I hit the return button and it sent the email. "Mail cannot be sent using the account "XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX" A connection failure has occurred."

Customer:

I have also tried using mail.windstream.net, which is the local DSL server. That doesn't work either. My cable server is Time Warner and that works fine at home.

Customer:

BTW, I have this problem also when i am out of town and using someone else's internet access which is cable. I cannot send messages with Entourage.

Mike the MacMedic :

You need to enter the exact SMTP server for you email account. Are you sure you need SSL turned on, the top box? Try turning it off.

Customer:

I did turn off the SSL. And the account was set for port 25 (which works with MY cable, but not with the DSL. As I said, I also tried 587 but no luck.

Mike the MacMedic :

Who is your email provider?

Customer:

I use Startlogic.com for hosting my email and my websites. Usually it says "mail.adelphia.net" which works with my cable setup. When I spoke with the phone company that hosts my DSL line, they said it was "windstream.net". I tried that and it didn't work. I also tried mail.windstream.net. That didn't work.

Customer:

My Entourage is part of Office 2004. Is there an upgrade for Entourage only? Would that help? I really don't need to upgrade Microsoft Office.

Mike the MacMedic :

You can upgrade to 2008 but you can’t just get Entourage. Go here and view the video, http://www.startlogic.com/support/tutorials/MacMailPopBox.html the SMTP settings are not what you described. Try it this way it should be basically the same for Entourage

Customer:

That page no longer exists. I will try their support, but when I asked them about this problem a week ago they were no help at all.

Mike the MacMedic :

It opens fine for me. They list the r as mail.fhwiki.com and smtp.fhwiki.com. Does that sound familiar?

Mike the MacMedic :

I meant servers not r

Customer:

No, that doesn't sound familiar. I am not at the DSL location again until tomorrow morning. Will try one of those servers then. Thanks for your help so far. I hope that I can report a positive outcome tomorrow.

Customer:

I copied and pasted the link in another browser window and it said the page no longer existed. Not sure why you were able to see it and not I.

Mike the MacMedic :

OK let me know

Customer:

WOW! the mail.fhwiki.com worked as long as I changed the authentication to my email address and password!

Customer:

Thanks so much for your help. I never could find that information on the StartLogic site.

Mike the MacMedic :

OK great!!

Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Guess what! The mail.fhwiki.com worked yesterday, but isn't working today. Just thought you would like to know.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I would call Starcom support graphic