iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing

I have a G4 AGP Graphics. I was online a few days ago and it

Customer Question

I have a G4 AGP Graphics. I was online a few days ago and it said that upgrades are available would I like to upgrade. I said yes and now the cursor on my mouse is a transparent square. what Happened?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
iteachmac :

Hi , i would like to help .

iteachmac :

Seems there is an issue with OSX install , or problem was made during the update .

iteachmac :

please can you reply if you are there or i will switch to off line and send repair and test support.

Expert:  iteachmac replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 6 years ago.
Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

Report any errors in displayed RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Please run repairs on all your Mac HD partitions and disks.
Choose in turn the drive name from the left hand list , and use repair .

Run repairs twice if RED errors where found , check to see if they are now cleared.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more. We can also check the SMART status of the HD with OnyX .

Extra tools:

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

or drive 10 for OSX depending on OSX version .

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

You can also try this more simple step to try to correct issues :-

Turn off the Mac .

Power on the Mac .

Hold shift on the keyboard using a USB keyboard , while powering on the Mac and booting , boot to safe mode.

Once booted to safe mode , restart and boot as normal .

Full details here :-

This may fix minor issues but it is best to run a Full Mac HD repair from the OSX DVD installer disk , use the OSX disk that goes with your current OSX install ..

Once the Mac HD is tested ok or repaired , you can go on to update the software , please let me know if there are issues ,and give full details. We may need to Archive and install Mac OSX if problems persist and check the Mac hardware is working correctly . And i will give details of how to do that keeping your user account intact if needed.

I hope this helps .

Thanks .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I purchsed this mac from ebay with the OS already installed. I am trying to obtain the start up disks from a friend now.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 6 years ago.
Hi , ok .

That's a good idea , let me know if you have progressed.