Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Safari does not open. I am getting a message that reads,

Customer Question

My Safari does not open. I am getting a message that reads, "the application Safari quit unexpectedly." The Mac OS X and other applications are not affected. Click relaunch to launch the application again. Click report to see more details or send a report to Apple.
Please reply [email protected] with any recomendations.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can try to delete Safari's Preferences and see if that helps or not...

(Deleteing Preferences will also delete your saved Username and Passwords, cookies, history etc)

Close Safari and goto Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences folder and trash the file ""

Now open Safari. Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I cant seem to locate Users....where do I access Users?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My options are the Apple icon, Finder, File, Edit, View, Go, Window and Help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
O.k. I found the file and trashed it. I restarted the computer and Safari did not open to the browser. I then reset safari by going into the safari tab at the top of the bar, and go the same error message. I tried to relaunch and the safari icon "bounced" but nothing shows up on my desktop other than my custom picture....Safari is still not opening...
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delayed response...had to got out. What version of Safari is this ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Safari 5.0.1
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
And what version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mac OS X 10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay..there are many known issues with Safari 5 and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. So you may need to downgrade Safari to fix this problem. Before that, try uninstalling and reinstalling Safari.

So uninstall Safari with a special application called CleanApp. Then download and install Safari 5 again.

Download CleanApp :

(You can a see tutorial video in their website, and no need to buy this application, Just use the trial to uninstall Safari)

Once you uninstalled Safari, download and install Safari from here :

Restart your Mac and try Safari again. Let me know if that works or not..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I log into these sites if i cannot access the browser to type in the site address?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You can download these apps from another computer, burn them to a cd and install from it on your Mac.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I use a memory stick?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I use a memory stick? Also, I will be traveling to Boston over the next 6 hrs. should I request a new expert or will you be available tonight at appx. 6pm EST?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you can use Memory stick. I will be here for the next 7 hours. Add a bookmark of this page, so we can continue later.

Edited by Ashik on 8/1/2010 at 1:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

completed both items and still cannot open safari....:-( Any other ideas that I can try?

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
I'm very sorry for the delay...apologies. You can downgrade into Safari 4. Download Safari 4 from here :

But one problem, Once you installed Safari 5, its hard to downgrade and mainly it won't allow to downgrade. But you can Force install Safari 4. Download and install Pacifist from here : (Just use the trial version). In Pacifist, load the Safari 4 package you downloaded earlier, and Pacifist will load Safari. In Pacifist, click the Install button. If Pacifist asks the'Applications already exists, need to replace ?' choose Yes and continue. Let me know how it goes..