iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I want to use my LCD TV as a monitor for my iMac. How can I

Customer Question

I want to use my LCD TV as a monitor for my iMac. How can I do that??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Joseph :

Hello

Joseph :

I will help you to solve the issue.

Joseph :

Use the above link to do the connection.

Joseph :

I will change the mode to Q&A as its gona take some time for you.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to be able to play movies and music. Im not sure if the VGA cable will do it when is adapted to a mini DVI adaptor (Which goes to my IMAC (Intel Core 2 Duo) Or, would the Mini DVI to DVI adapter will work insted? Plus I dont think my TV has a DVI adapter. I know it has a PC HDMI but not sure if my computer supports Mini DVI to HDMI. What do you think?
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
Yes as your iMac doesn't have the HDMI port an adapter will work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So basically, you're saying this= Buy an mini DVI to HDMI adaptor and the HDMI cable that connects to my PC HDMI port on my TV, correct? Is the mini DVI going to transfer audio to my TV as well??
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
What are the ports available on your TV ?
And What are the port/ports available on your MAC ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have plenty of HDMI's on my TV and one VGA and USB (no DVI's)
In my iMAC I have a mini DVI, Firewire and USB
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Just watch the video. It will help you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem is that I dont have a Mini Display port which is different from Mini DVI.I know Mini Display Port transfers audio nut Im not sure about Mini DVI. What do you know??
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
No issues. You Still can use a VGA to HDMI converter and connect to TV.

You can get the VGA to HDMI converter or adapter in any electronics or computer showroom.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So Mini DVI to VGA to HMDI will transfer audio?
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.
No need to involve DVI.

Just Use VGA -HDMI. No need to bring DVI inbetween.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 6 years ago.
Hi , I would like to answer the question correctly and give support .

Audio will not work via hdmi on your mac mini.

You need to use the digital out with an 3.5mm adapter for Optical out , dolby 2.0 pcm 2.0, dd5.1 & dts compatible or analog audio to your surround amp or tv . . You need to use the pc input on your tv for sound on the tv , it may not be possible to use sound on the tv if you connect via hdmi , hence use a hifi surround sound amp for audio via optical out..
or use this lead . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fisual-Mini-Toslink-Standard-Toslink-5m-/380236763738?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5887e0925a#ht_1665wt_1054

Video :
You need to use the mini dvi to hdmi cable or dvi to hdmi cable , find one on ebay cheep .

If you don't have hdmi on your tv you will need to use your mini dvi to vga converter and connect the svga video out to the tv via the svga input (dsub) .

You can use Display config x to give extra tv modes if the mac does not setup the resolutions correctly , or correct display overscan .

http://www.3dexpress.de/

If you need extra info please let me know .

Thanks.