Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have pro tools 8.0 le and i can record for only 10 seconds

Customer Question

I have pro tools 8.0 le and i can record for only 10 seconds and then it stops and says -the operating system held off interupts for to long. If this occurs often, try increasing the "H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback Engine Dialog.(-9093) i tried that and there was too much delay and it still didnt work.
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi , please can you let me know your full setup ? , and what HDD's are you recording to ?

If your using a USB HDD it may not be fast enough.

If the HDD is more than 90% full then it may effect this issue ?

If your using a laptop the HDD maybe 5600RPM making the issue worse ?

Mac type , OSX version and protools release version ?

If none of the above there may be a fault with the HDD " hard disk drive " that needs repair ?
I can give full details of how to check the Mac HD and other partitions .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 8/1/2010 at 5:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a pc. its a dell inspiron 1720. I added more memory. it has 3 gb now, and everything else is the way it comes. im using the mbox2 mini 8.0 le pro tools
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,

Are you not using a Mac? or OSX ? you posted in the Mac section :)

What OS are you running ? if your running 64bit windows 6GB ram + would help with the overall performance .

Pro Tools supports recording and playback to a secondary drive that meets the following requirements:

7200 rpm HDD or faster
9ms seek time or faster

Firewire drives must have the Oxford 911 (FW400 port), Oxford 912 (FW400 & FW800 ports) or Oxford 924 (FW800 ports) Bridge chip. USB drives are not supported and are known to be problematic. Recording to the boot or C drive is not recommend.

-

Delete DAE and Pro Tools preference files can fix issues..

click for a utility that will do this for you automatically!

Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) or correct hard drive (click "show the contents of this drive" if the files aren't displayed) > Program Files > Common Files > Digidesign > DAE > Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete.
Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk(C:) > Documents and Settings > "Your user folder" > Application Data > Right-click on the Digidesign folder and delete. (If the Application Data folder is not showing: Tools Menu > Folder Options > View Tab > Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders" > Click Apply and OK.)

- Delete the Digidesign Databases folders for all hard drives

This step can be useful when receiving random 'assertion' or 'neoaccess' errors, especially when recording or saving.

Start Menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Digidesign Databases > Right-click on the Digidesign Databases folder and delete.

Repeat for all hard drives.
Start menu > My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Databases > Right-click on the Volumes folder and delete.

Does this help the issue?

Thanks .

Edited by iteachmac on 8/2/2010 at 1:35 AM EST