Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My Macbook will not boot up. It starts up with the chime but

My Macbook will not boot up. It starts up with the chime but I only get a white screen. I have followed the apple instructions including reinstalling the battery, trying a restart with the command-options-p-r keys and restarting from a disk. Nothing works Do I need to take it in for repair? The 3 years warranty was up just 27 days ago!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Try the following solutions and let me know if that works or not...I know you already zapped the PRAM and NVRAM, but do it again.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsk - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI,

Thanks for replying. I tried all steps you recommended a couple of times and am still getting just the white screen. The computer chimes start up, I can hear the fan running but nothing but a white screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Insert your Mac OS X Disc 1, then turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the C key on your keyboard. Keep the key held down until it boots into the disc. Let me know once it booted into disc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding. (Off to Church)

While I had to wait longer than normal, I got it to boot to the disk, went through the steps (continue, agree) until I got to Select a destination. At this point nothing show to select.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
That means your Mac can't find the internal hard drive. Open Disk Utility from Utilities menu and can you see your hard disk in there ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there are two listed:

74.5 GB Hitachi HTs541...
5.3 GB Matshitacd-R
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Select 74.5 GB Hitachi HTs541 and Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permission.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Received message:

First aid failed, following error encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit.

further the last message in the repair sequence was
"1 HFS volume checked"
"a volume could not be repaired because of an error"
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay...you may need to do Erase and Install but it'll erase all your files from your hard disk. Let me know what you think.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No problem, we are backed up.

What do I do next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
In Disk Utility, erase your hard disk (click Erase tab and then erase button). Then close Disk Utility and continue installation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this take a while? At the bottom of the Disk Utility screen it was reading "Partitioning" with a small space filled in in blue on the bar. Then it flipped back to basic erase screen. I have tired it again but not getting past "Partitioning.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
It only takes 1-5 minutes to erase the drive. I think your hard drive is dying, thats why your Mac can't read it. Anyway,try again and if it didn't didn't worked, then you have to take your Mac to the Apple store to fix/replace the hard drive.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc