Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a macbook pro and am running 10.6.4 OS. When I first

Customer Question

I have a macbook pro and am running 10.6.4 OS. When I first got it I was able to connect to the wireless system in the house. After a few days I could no longer connect. It continues to get an invalid IP address when attempting to connect. We have 2 other desk top computers (one of which is a mac) along with another laptop....all connect without issue. I have contacted my ISP (time warner cable) and I have restarted everything more times than I want to count. I should also mention that I have been able to access the internet at a local bar and coffee shop so I know it's not my wifi card. I have even taken it in to my local Apple Store and they suggested that I ask my ISP for a WPA (?) number. I feel like I should not have to "fix" this issue....given that I paid a hefty sum for the computer.(which I love, by the way!) Can anyone help?~ Karen
Category: Mac
Expert:  Engineer John C. replied 3 years ago.

We are not Apple, we are justanswer.com, a support website.

If we solve the issue you should pay.

Do you want to continue with us ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for taking out my frustration on you guys.....if you can figure out how to resolve this issue I will gladly pay you the $38.

No problem!

When you try to connect are you requested to enter a password ?

Thank you

John Cappucci

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i originally set it up I had to enter a password XXXXX not since then. as I mentioned, the other computers in the house connect without issue.

Ok, last question ;-)

If you click the aiport icon on the top bar and then select your wireless network, what will happen ?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing.....it just goes back to an ! . If that makes sense.....

Ok,

Please follow the steps below:

1- Click the apple icon on the upper left corner of your screen

2- Click "System Preferences"

3- Click Network

4- Select "Airport" and click "Advanced"

5- Click the "DNS" tab, delete your DNS servers clicking the [-] button.

6- Add the following DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (clicking the [+] button)

7- Click the "TCP/IP" tab and select "Using DHCP" next to IPv4

8- Then click "Renew DHCP Lease"

9- Click the "Proxies" tab and UNCHECK all the options you find there

10- Click OK

11- Click Apply

12- Click the airport icon and select "Turn Airport Off"

13- Click the airport icon and select "Turn Airport ON"

14- Select your wireless network name and connect to it

15- If I helped please click the Accept button for me to be paid :-) (even if you have a subscription or a trial membership)

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. (*** Even if you have a subscription plan, you need to click the Accept button if the issue is solved for me to be paid, you won't be charged twice ***, don't worry. Thank you!)

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I go in and attempt to put in the new DNS servers you suggested, they disappear.

I don't understand. What disappear?

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
after I type in the 8.8.8.8 and then hit + to enter the 8.8.4.4 the previous numbers disappear and the screen is blank.
By the way, I fully intend to pay you!

Ok, just add 8.8.8.8 and then follow with steps 7 to 15 :-)

No need to add also 8.8.4.4

Thank you

John Cappucci
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately that did not work. And when I return to the DNS page that server number is XXXXX longer there. It continues to access a 169 IP address which is invalid. My other computers are accessing a 192 address.

On step 3, when you click "Networks" what do you see ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
a network screen comes up and on the left hand side is listed "airport" "ethernet" and "firewire". In the middle of the screen is has status (of airport) and network name. at the bottom is advanced, assist me, revert, apply, etc.

Is the Macbook also connected with a ethernet cable to the router ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No...just wireless.

Have you followed steps 8 to 13 of my previous solution ?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So where do things stand? Any additional help you can offer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am assuming someone will get back to me regarding this issue rather than just dropping it without resolution....even if it's to say that no additional suggestions can be offered. I will be happy to release payment when I receive a response.

I am very sorry for the long delay. I need to log off now. I will opt out so any other expert can retake your question.

I apologize again for the long delay

Thank you
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try changing it to configure IPv4 Manualyl and enetr this;

IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.200
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1

If that works get back to me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mike....thank you for the response. Although the signal strength indicator in the tool bar says that I should be connected, I cannot get anything to load (firefox, safari, etc.). Additionally, when I go into system preferences it tells me I am connected to my network.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try DNS 192.168.2.2
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Still get thet message "server not found". I must say, other than when I first got it home and was able to connect, this is the closest I have been!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What is your DSL provider and your zip code?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Time Warner Cable 75007
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Change the DNS listings to this:

The following are the DNS server addresses:
24.25.5.60
24.25.5.61
dns4.rr.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I put those numbers in they will not stay.....when I click "ok" they disappear. The computer I am using now is an iMac and the DNS address is 209.18.47.61..if that helps.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you clicking on the plus sign and typing it in then select OK? You need to put dns4.rr.com under Search Domains. graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes...I am doing it just as you say. Every time I click "ok" they disappear. Also tried putting in the dns4.rr.com under search domains but that too disappears.
The 192 address is the only one that would stay.....
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What is listed under TCP/IP?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Configure IPv4 = manually
IPv4 address = 192.168.2.200
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Router = 192.168.2.1
Configure IPv6 = automatically
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Is there a lock on the lower left of the dialogue box?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes....on the dialogue box for the network. It is unlocked.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Did you delete all ther other DNS servers first?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes....there are none listed when I go to that page. But I had also deleted them before I put the others in.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I can‘t understand why the DNS won‘t stay. Go to Macintosh HD, then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Verify disk was ok so clicked on repair permissions and that is now complete.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Restart and try to enter the DNS again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I restarted and then entered the DNS again....this time it let me enter them. Just like last time, it tells me I am connected but tells me the server not found. I tried Safari and Firefox.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Please go to one of the working computersw and tell me what the network settings are.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
TCP/IP
Conf IPv4 = using DHCP
IPv4 = 192.168.0.15
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
Router = 192.168.0.1

DNS
209.18.47.61
209.18.47.62
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK use those exact settings but change IPv4 to 192.168.0.200
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still get error messages.....and it's not connecting.
under TCP/IP should config IPv4 = using DCHP? If so, then there is no connection. However, when I do it manually it says it'c connected to the network but will not let me connect to the internet. Is this as frustrating for you as it is for me?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure you have the right network selcted under Airport icon?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try this go to Macintish HD/Library/Preferences and drag the folder SystemConfiguration to the trash. Restart and set up you network again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...should config IPv4 be "using DHCP" or manually?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
DHCP should work if it does on the others
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have tried it but now the DNS address will not stick.....as soon as I click "ok" they disappear. Additionally, when I choose "using DHCP" it attempts to access an IPv4 address of 169 - which I have been told is not valid.
I need to log off for awhile. Are there other options to try? If so, I will check back upon my return. If not, what can I possibly do?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
try turning Airport off and then back on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no luck...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Try delelting your wirelss networks in System preferences, than connect to it again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i delete them?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Go to Network/Advanced//Airport tab select the networks and hit the minus sign
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
unfortunately it still does not work...
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
OK sorry I’m out of ideas. I’ll opt out.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for trying....I'm still going to pay.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thank-you