Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I have a Mac 10.6.4. The computer was given to me and

Hi, I have a Mac 10.6.4. The computer was given to me and it works great. However, I cannot reset the old password XXXXX have tried everything??? It continues to ask for the "old" pass word to reset a new password?? Can I disable using the password XXXXX together? Thanks, Marvyl
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

You can reset the the administrator password XXXXX the Mac OS X installation disks in different way.

• Insert the Mac OS X installation disc to your Mac.
  • Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down the C key on your Keyboard.
  • This should boot your Mac directly into Mac OS X installation screen
  • Choose your Language and click Next button.
  • Choose Reset Password from the Utilities menu
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.Select the user name of your original administrator account
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.
  • Restart your Mac

Let me know if that password XXXXX or not..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just told you I've already done that? It asks for an old password. I want t0 fix it to by pass the passwrd all together
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, i know you already tried it. But please read my instructions clearly. Insert the disc and turn off your Mac (not restart). Then turn it back on and immediately hold down the C key. This will directly boot into disc without booting into OS X Desktop. Then you can reset the password XXXXX the old password. Let me know how it goes..

Edited by Ashik on 7/27/2010 at 5:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The disk pops out even though I'm holding down the c key? and it open up in Tunes?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay...insert the disc and immediately turn off your Mac. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down the Option key. Keep the key held down until it shows "Startup Manager" screen. In startup manager, select CD/DVD and press return key. Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have spent the last two hours trying to fix this computer? I lost everything, had to reinstall the disk, that took another hour? It still won't take the password XXXXX after I finally got it to change it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It finally worked. THANK YOU