Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Hotmail has deleted some old e-mails from my hotmail account,

Customer Question

Hotmail has deleted some old e-mails from my hotmail account, is there a way to restore these messages? I need it for a speech to my best friends wedding. The message is from 2005. ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

how long ago were the messages deleted? The time frame is very important.. were they deleted today?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well, im not sure. I have not deleted the message myself, hotmail has done it. Maybee some autodelete or something..
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.

Hotmail, or any other major email providers I know of, such as Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc, do not delete your emails unless at one time you did not login your account for 90 days or so, then they would deactivate your account and delete the emails. If you accidentally deleted those emails and you have checked the Trash folder and they're not there, then I'm sorry the emails are gone once they are deleted from Hotmail email servers.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No this is not correct, cause there are other e-mail that I miss from earlier on as well. Hallo, Ive had the e.mail account with hotmail since.. i dont know, 2002-2003. And there are no e-mails from that time. Also, I miss some e-mails from my former boyfriend for example, and I have NOT delated these myself. So: conclusion: Hotmail deletes old e-mails, but can they be restored? I still haven´t got an answer to that...
That's strange, as far as I know, email providers don't just automatically delete your emails if you use your email frequently. Also, I see that all major email providers will not restore deleted emails for you. I will leave your question open to other techs to see if they have any other suggestion. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And for the record, I use my hotmail every day, and have done it since i first got it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

It isnt always true that you cant recover the mail..

There is a very slim possibility.. But its still a possibility..

That if you hurry and contact windows live support.. you can get them to save the mail.

Just because it gets deleted of your inbox, and account

Does not mean its deleted of their server..

Immediately.. go to the link below.

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=1

click ask a question.. Tell them you are missing very important mail you didnt delete.. And you want to know if they can save it off their server before its permanently deleted..

If your very lucky, one of the support techs will see it and help you before its too late.

Now.. lets cover a reason this could have happened.

Your account could have been hacked..

Someone could be accessing your account and deleting the mails..

to make sure that is not happening.. Please immediately change your password, secret questions and answers, and also your backup email..

Do this now as well, As dissapearing email is suspicious account activity and often the first sign you have been compromised..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, yeah, thats more likely the reason. Because, it might have been hacked earlier, cause some friends told me that I was sending out some e-mails that I was´nt sending out, but that is a little while ago now, and I´ve changed my password XXXXX then. I dont think I have had any problems with this after that. But, I think it is a little bit weird that hotmail actually saves ALL the e-mails from several years back? Doesn´t they have any kind of auto-delete system?

But, thanx, I have now tried what you suggested. I dont have the best of hopes though.. Are you sure you can not suggest anything else?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately.. unless you were using outlook, or outlook express.. or thunderbird..

The idea is .. unless you were using a mail program.. something that handles your mail for you.. there would be no other record of it..

Hotmail wouldnt save all the emails from years ago.. as far as they are concerned. Time isnt an issue.

The only reason that they may have saved it,, is if it was deleted recently..

it would be on the server whether or not it was sent a year ago, or a day ago..

As long as it was deleted recently..

If you were hacked before. someone got you again

definitely change your password and secret questions immediately

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, you seem like a nice guy, so I am going to accept this answer. But, if you accidentally know how to do this in a miraculously NASA-issh way..:) Please feel free to contact me again! I see that your have been working for the US army, and so I would think that you would have your methods to restore deleted things from a small little norwegian hotmail account. (Yes, Im norwegian). All the best to you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
If i worked for hotmail..I would be able to do so..

Unfortunately, It is illegal for me to break into their servers and do it myself..

sorry.. But i only break speed limits, not laws that would get me jail time.

I enjoy my couch too much to go to jail!!

Thank you for the compliments, and the feedback.. And Good luck with the account
Per my first answer to you, Hotmail would not be restore the emails for you as they don't have them on the email servers anymore.

Thanks,
-Viet
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Once again.. Viet is wrong..

please take note of this link.

http://ask-leo.com/messages_deleted_on_hotmail_can_i_get_them_back_somehow.html

at the bottom of leos statement.. Notice the hotmail user that says they were able to post a message and recover some deleted mails..

I didnt say this was a big possibility, But it is possible.. And you deserved to know.

Untill the server dumps it cache. the mail is still there..

So time is of the essence, and luck is in order..
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment