Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

i have got i mark flasing when i reboot my imac.

i have got i ? mark flasing when i reboot my imac.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

The folder with question mark (?) means that your Mac was unable to find the startup disk in order to boot your Mac OS. This is because of either the Mac OS system files are corrupted or failure of hard disk. We're not sure whether the problem is with hardware or software...So try these solutions

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Option key till you are able to see the start up option. From there, if you can see the Macintosh HD then select it and press return key on your keyboard. (Solution 2)

Restart in SafeMode (Solution 3)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no good still comes up with ? no bleep.
Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk
• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD (your hard disk's name)
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Restart your Mac.

If that didn't worked, then you have to Re-Install your Mac OS. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Let me know if that works or not..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the repair disk is not hi lighted

Try to do Archive and Install.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is thant can not see it.
Please follow the steps in here :

If you are using Snow Leopard discs, then there is no Archive and Install option. Just follow the onscreen instructions and Mac will do Archive and Install automatically.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when i get to the screen wheare it says select the disk where you want to install mac os x there is noting there
That means your Mac can't recognize/read your internal hard disk. Can you see your hard disk in Disk Utility ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a backup of your files ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i have only had the imac for 2 weeks and i did not do a back up silly me i think when i trid to load the xp disk i think a my have formated the hole disk not sure please help wife not happy
Yes, that may be the problem.I think the system files are erased, thats why your Mac can't repair the HD and can't recognize it in Destination screen. So your only choice is, do a Erase and Install. Erase and Install will remove all files from your hard drive and put a fresh OS X in it. So open Disk Utility, select your internal hd and erase it. Close Disk Utility and then install Mac OS X. Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tring to reinstall now
Okay...let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

up and runing but lost files and photos

many thanks for your help steve.

I'm sorry about the Photos and files, but we can't do anything to get them back because i all files were erased when you tried to install XP.

If you like my service, please click Accept and please leave me a Positive Feedback.

Best Regards,