Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

my start up disk on my g4 is full, what do I do to correct

my start up disk on my g4 is full, what do I do to correct problem?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Startup Disk is your hard disk, Macintosh HD or Mac HD. You need atleast 10% free of total space for good perfomance.

• You can delete unwanted files from your Mac HD. You can trash movies, musics, pictures, application etc that you are not using to save disk space.
  • Make sure that you had emptied the trash. If you didn't emptied the trash, empty it.
  • You can also delete your Mac's caches to save space. Goto Library/Caches/ folder and trash all files inside the cache folder.
  • Also, Download and install this application and remove temporary files, caches etc : Download Onyx

And finally, it'd be better to use an external hard drive and save files to it.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to move Iphoto library to my back up hard drive but I already have a Iphoto library there and I do not want to replace it. What to do next....
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Just move your iPhoto library to any different folder in your external drive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I do that
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..Follow the guide in here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
tried the suggestion but can not get it to switch to the new library location found it and clicking on open, but nothing. Still see original library in Iphoto, need to delete photos library to clear memory space.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Did you moved the iPhoto library from Pictures folder to your external drive ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I copied the Iphoto library to the external drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Okay..now trash the iPhoto library from your Internal hard disk. Let me know once you did that...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how, do open iphoto to do that.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Just trash the library from internal drive. Goto Macintosh HD,open Users folder, open home folder, open Pictures folder and you can see your iphoto library in there. Once you copied that library to your external drive, trash the library from Pictures folder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok that worked, now how do I find and remove safely the multiple copies of the same pictures in the whole computer.Second how to identify and delete unwanted files safely.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
You now don't have a library on your internal hd. So to make sure there is no library, just open iPhoto. If iPhoto opens blank library, then please let me know. So we can move to next step.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did the open Iphoto with control button and assigned the external drive Iphoto library. When I open Iphoto the pictures are there.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
iPhoto loaded Pictures from external drive. Okay..Now empty the trash and see if you have enough space available on your internal drive.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I now have 22.63 GB on disk, should we move on.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
22.63GB is more than enough space. So let me know if you are getting any warning messages.