Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

MacBook Pro laptop when closed works perfectly with external

MacBook Pro laptop when closed works perfectly with external screen and external keyboard and mouse. When laptop is opened, nothing works. Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM and see if that helps or not..

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate thfollowing keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup

Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did as instructed. Problem persists. Let me describe more fully. When laptop is open and no external devices connected, the trackpad moves the arrow but clicking on anything is not possibe. There is no "click" sound and nothing happens. If I connect an external mouse, once again I can move the arrow around but no click&drag is possible and the mouse click only occasionally works if I RIGHT click. But I can't close a window by clicking on the red button, for example, or move anything around. Left click, my normal default, does nothing.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I understand, thanks. Okay..Try these basic solutions and please let me know.

Restart in Safe mode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...Try clicking..

If that didn't worked then...Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did retsrt thtn press and hold Shift. When Shift released, did not start up, just circular motion of progrss indicator.

Shut down and restarted to urn Disk Utility as directed. At the end of that process, last readable message was
The file Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

Rebooted by typing reboot, still same problem with laptop.

More ideas?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have the installation discs. They are 10.4.10 and I am now upgraded to 10.4.11. Will that cause any difficulties?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
No, just install the 10.4.10 and then update into 10.4.11 using Software Update. Okay..we can reinstall Mac OS X from the discs. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read More

Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried to install. Two attempts, both ended with Installation was not successful or some such verbiage with the option to try again. After two tries (lengthy process each time) I gave up. Next plan?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..I gave up too ! we tried all troubleshooting steps and since its not working, i think its a hardware issue. So, you may need to take it to the Apple store to fix it. I'm sorry i couldn't help you, but atleast i tried.

Best Regards,
Asguj
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc