Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

When I boot up my macbook I get a zero with a line through

Customer Question

When I boot up my macbook I get a zero with a line through it (not sign). The computer had been used successfully just one hour before without difficulty. When it was shut down using the shut-down option, it closed appropriately. This time, when activating the power button, it came up to a white screen and eventually the not sign. Can you provide any information on this.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Are you getting this screen ?
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
This problem usually occurs when a file or folder has been moved, replaced, or damaged.This problem may also caused by the installation of new software and hardware.

Is this problem started after any software update ? or Did you installed any new hardware ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not the primary user - that would be my wife. With respect to your question, No software was uploaded/downloaded to the computer between the last time it worked and this current issue. My wife does occasionally download some game software that she plays occasionally when she cannot sleep. BUT, with respect to this case, nothing was downloaded between the last time it worked and this current issue. I am sorry I cannot be more specific.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..but something is happend. May be your wife deleted or moved some important files of your Mac. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Of that I am not certain. If that disk would have been included when the machine was originally purchased, then probably - unfortunately, I am going to have to look through my file to find it. The machine has been so stable that I have never actually had to use it before.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
The disk should be in the box/package of your Mac, its two gray discs. Let me know when you find it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have looked at my box of items received at the time of purchase and there does not appear to be any disks that were supplied at that time. As I indicated previously, there is a disk already in the disk port that I cannot remove at this time. I doubt that an operating disk would be able to be inserted.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...ok. Eject the disc and and let the Mac bootup.
  • Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the left mouse button. This may take some time, but keep it held down until the disk ejects
  • Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the eject key on your keyboard. Keep it held down until the disk ejects

Let me know if you are able to eject the disc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This did eject the disk. Thank you.

Unfortunately, this did not boot the machine. At boot-up, the apple logo was displayed then after about 30 seconds, the "not-sign" again appeared.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a safe-mode like in a windows operating system through which I can try and reboot the machine to allow it to self diagnosis issues?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is Safe Mode for Macs. Follow the solutions below;

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I initially tried option 2 - to open in safe mode. I have the apple logo and the progress circle below that. How long should this process take? It has been more than three minutes now and nothing else is happening. Is time required to allow the process to check through files first prior to opening?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I initially tried option 2 - to open in safe mode. I have achieved the desktip screen at this time. Prior to doing anything, is there another option that I need to perform to remove myself from the safe mode operation process? Example, in microsoft systems, after opening in safe mode, I have to shut down and then restart normally. Does this need to be done for the Macbook also?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
It'd take 5-30 minutes to boot into Safe Mode..
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes, just do a normal restart.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Your information has indeed solved the issue. I restarted the machine normally and achieved reaching the desktop. I opened several applications as well as firefox and tried several url's - all seemed to be working fine.

Thank you so much for your assistance. I have copied the instructions above for opening in safe mode and the alternate options to assure I have these for quick reference in the future should I ever need them again.

I know my wife will be very happy at the quick resolution as she needs to finalize the church newsletter this week for publication. She will be very pleased that she does not have to recreate it from scratch.

Thank you again for your support in this matter.

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Glad i'd help..Thanks for Accepting my answer. If you need my help, feel free to ask anytime.

Best Regards,