Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

RE 17 iMac Display no longer fills screen and everything

Customer Question

RE: 17" iMac

Display no longer fills screen and everything is enlarged. There is 1" on each sine of the screen that is not filled.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Does the screen moves when you move the mouse ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can move the windows etc. But the 1" margins remain.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like your mac is in Zoom mode. Please try this

Press Command(Apple) + Option + 8 to turn off the zoom.

You can also turn off the zoom by going to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Universal Access. Under "Seeing" tab, turn off the zoom

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 7/15/2010 at 1:12 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried that earlier, the ZOOM show that it is off.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Open System Preferences, click on Displays option. In Displays window, try chaning the Resolutions. Let me know if that makes any differences..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried the sequence you gave me with no luck.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
hmm..thats strange. We can try to reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.
  1. Shut down your iMac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys
Let me know how it goes..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. The restart sequence did nothing. However, increasing the resolution restored the use of the entire screen. The type on the headers are still too large.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We can try a SafeBoot. Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck with the safe boot. Could this size problem be in Safari?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have this problem only with Safari ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Safari and Mail
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Could you please give a screenshot of your Mac? (Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into www.senduit.com and give me the download links)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No luck
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?

And what version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Edited by Ashik on 7/15/2010 at 2:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am using OSX 4.11

I am looking for the dfisks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have discs
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one. So it'll fix all the system files as well as improves your Mac's perfomance.

Archive and Install : Read More

Let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ashik,
I have resolved the problem with another increase in resolution.

Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Glad you got it solved..but just print out my answers. They are very useful in many cases...like if your Mac is not booting, not showing video, slow etc

Best Regards,