John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I am using Excel 2008 for Mac and I am trying to clean up a

Customer Question

I am using Excel 2008 for Mac and I am trying to clean up a .xls file I have been given. Many of the entries are in ALL CAPS. Instead I need to arbitrarily select which cells need to be changed to All Caps. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks,

Randal
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Hi Randal,

Yes we can create a small macro for that. Can you send me the file so I can look at it. Just go to www.wikisend.com and upload it there. You will then get a page that has the download link. Copy the download link and come back here and paste it in your reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/424618/xcart_weights.xls

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

I only need to change the product name field
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so you want to change only the ALL CAP data in column B to Proper Cap, or to small cap?

For example

LIVER CLEANSE FORMULA should be changed to Liver Cleanse Formula, or to liver cleanse formula?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is correct but I need to be able to select which product name cell. Some cells like CLT-X, DHA and so on need to stay all caps.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
How would like to identify the names that need to be changed? How about putting an X in column J next to each one that you want to change and sending me the file again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

Thanks for the offer but this isn't a one time thing. Is it possible to do what I am asking? If not, what can be done to make it easier?
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is if you can tell me what the rule is?

Can we assume that any data in column B that has less than say 5 characters should not be changed, but if it has 5 or more that 5 characters will be changed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

Not trying to be difficult but there is no pattern. Is it not possible to just highlight the ones to change and press a button or something similar?
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Sure, would you like me to write a macro that will change the highlighted cells only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes that would be great
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Ok, here you go

FILE

Just select all the cells that you want to change the case of and then press Ctrl + Q

Please note that since there is a macro in that file you need to make sure that you have your Excel Options configured so that macros are allowed to run, otherwise nothing happens when you press Ctrl + Q. If you need assistance in this regard please let me know.

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before I start I have been modifying that file is there a way I can add this to the file I am using. I have a deadline in 4 hours that has to be met that is why I have continued to do the work manually in addition to the other massaging that has to take place.
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
The easiest way is to copy the data from the other file and past it into this file then run the macro on this new data
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll look at it in the morning. I am not confident that I won't lose what I have done to do it now.

Thanks
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
even if that works that means I have to keep that spreadsheet forever. I wanted to use this macro on different spreadsheets. Isn't that possible?
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I will prepare the instructions, in the meantime go ahead and click the accept button. Thanks
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have an estimate when you will do this?

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Oops, I am sorry I just knew about the accept from your message this morning. For some reason I have not received an email notification about it at the time. My apologies. I will be working on it right away.

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok, here are the instructions for copying the macro from one workbook to another

1- Close all Excel workbooks and Excel programs.
2 - Open the file that I sent you.
3 - Press the keys ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
4 - Copy the macro code by selecting all the code lines and copying it
5 - Close this file
6 - Open your own workbook
7 - Press the keys ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
8 - Press the keys ALT + I to activate the Insert menu
9 - Press M to insert a Standard Module
10- Paste the code
11- Make any cusXXXXX XXXXXes to the macro if needed at this time
12- Press the keys ALT+Q to exit the Editor, and return to Excel
13- Save your excel file..

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

In my original question I specified I have a Mac.

****
I am using Excel 2008 for Mac and I am trying to clean up a .xls file I have been given. Many of the entries are in ALL CAPS. Instead I need to arbitrarily select which cells need to be changed to All Caps. Is there a way to do that? Thanks, Randal
****
When I attempt to open the file you built it says there are Visual Basic macros. As you know, a Mac can't use them. Can you do something in Mac instead?

Thanks,

Randal
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Hi again Randal.

Yes we can set up formulas to convert the case but I need you to send me the file again as the old file link has expired.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi John,

Here is the link http://wikisend.com/download/476484/xcart_weights.xls

Some need to be all caps and some don't. For example, LIVER CLEANSE FORMULA, CATNIP, HYDRANGEA are ones that need to have each word capitalized. Not sure if this is the exact thing I sent before. Either way, it represents what I need.

Thanks,

Randal
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I created formulas in column C (yellow) which convert all items in Product column to the case you want. However since we cannot run macros on this file there is no way we can apply this to some cells and not to others (e.g. by selecting the cells as we did before), so the formulas convert all the cells, then it is up to you to delete the formulas from the cells that you do not wish to change the case of

Here is the file

FILE

Hope this helps