Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a g5 dual that will not start up....All that happens

Customer Question

I have a g5 dual that will not start up....All that happens is when I turn the computer on the power light on monitor and on the tower, glows "light" and then pulses 3 times bright. and then repeats...plus all the fans in the tower run at full speed....I seem to have lost all my garage band music...can u help me
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Is this is a Power Mac G5 ? If so, which model (Late 2004 or Late 2005) ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have no idea of the year but it is a g5 dual serial number XB3480EUQES
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Its a Power Mac G5, its probably a Late 2004 one. We can try to reset the SMU (System Management Unit) of your Mac.

1. Turn off the computer by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
  2. Remove the power cord from the computer.
  3. Wait two minutes.
  4. Plug in the power cord.
  5. Turn on the computer.

Also, reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac:

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command(Apple), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Let me know if that works or not..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It did not work......
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Reset the SMU again and also take the RAM out from your Mac put it back in . See this article to take the RAM out : http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/memory.pdf
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ashik, I removed the RAM and tried to restart but this time there is only 1 pulse bright followed by a dim light....and it repeats dim-bright-dim-bright and on.....I reinstalled the RAM and its back to 3 pulses bright followed by dim.....I read on a MAC world forums that this could be a major fault by apple but no one is talking about it...have u read about it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I hope its not a major fault, because the problem is with your RAM memory. Three light flashes means that your RAM memory is not passing the power-on self test. Try reseating the RAM. If you have only one pair of RAM, swap those into another pair position. Also make sure the RAM is seated properly. If that didn't worked, try this type of SMC Reset (from Apple)

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.
  3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.
  4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.
  5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.
  6. Turn on the computer.

The SMU reset button is located underneath the lower bank of system memory slots, as shown below:

Let me know if that works or not..
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
I'm going out for an urgent meeting. So i'll be offline for next 2 hours. Please let me know f that works or not. I'll be back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience !

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ashik it didnt work but I'll pay u for ur time........thank you
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like you logic board ain't recognizing the RAM. So it'd be better to take it to the Apple Store. If the problem is with Logic board, it'd cost more $$$ to replace it. So if it is logic board, buying a new Mac is better than replaing the logic board.

BTW, Thanks for Accepting my answer.

Best Regards,