Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I was driving with my ipod plugged into the lighter to play

I was driving with my ipod plugged into the lighter to play through the car and the ipod died. Just stopped playing. Said something about ac power and to push menu to continue, but I got no response. It's plugged into my PC now but is completely dark and dead. What can I do? Is my music lost? I can't find it on my computer anymore.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Which model of iPod is this ? Touch, Classic, Shuffle or Nano ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can I tell?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
See the pictures below;
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nano
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Do a hard reset on your iPod.
  1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  2. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Let me know if that works or not...

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the Hold switch?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
See the video below;
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing happened. tried it twice.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Charge your iPod for 10 minutes and reset it again. Let me know..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been connected to the computer, which is how I charge it, probably for more than 10 minutes. It's just dead. While plugged in, the display is completely black. I can't tell if it is charging.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
I think its fried. If it is frozen or turned off, the reset will force restart it and should start working. Since its not working even after the reset, i thinks its dead. I'm sorry, you have to take it to the Apple store. If it still under Apple care warranty, Apple will give you a new one. If not, it'd be better to buy a new one than fixing it. Sorry, there is nothing you can do than resetting it. So keep trying to reset it and i hope it'll work.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK. Is the music that was on the ipod also on my computer? It seems like it was, but now I can't seem to get to it. If I have to buy a new ipod, am I going to have to buy all my music all over again?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Now i have good news for you. If you sync your iPod with your iTunes, then it should be there. And when you purchase new iPod, you can sync your contents back to your new iPod. Incase if you don't have the Musics on your computer, then you have to contact Apple iTunes support. You can contact them using this form : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact.html?form=download&topic=Downloading%20iTunes%20Store%20Purchases&subtopic=Download%20errors

Apple will allow you to re-download everything that you purchased from iTunes store for one time (free). So backup your iTunes after downloading the Music again.

Hope this helps..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. I think that about does it. One last thing. Can I get a record of our exchanges so that if I have misunderstood anything I can look back and figure it out?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Yes, just add a bookmark of this page...Also you own this question, i mean if you have any doubts you can reply back in here at any time and i will help you.

Best Regards,