Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I am recovering from a recent accident of my own making,

I am recovering from a recent accident of my own making, to make a long story short, I am trying to open recovered files in word docx format. I have downloaded the converter, but when I go to open it I receive:

"there was an error in opening the file."

oh, I am using Word 2004 for Mac and when I try to open the .docx file it asks me if I want to convert it because it was created with a later version and I hit convert and then I get the error message.

What can I do to open these files.

albert
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Office 2004 doesn't support Office 2007-2008 files directly, you have to install the Open XML Converter. Then only you can open 2007-2008 files in 2004. Seems like you are already installed it, but try to update it. Download the XML Converter Updated from here : http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/microsoftofficeopenxmlfileformatconverter.html

Let me know if that works or not..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did what you said, but I'm still getting the same error message.
Sorry for the delay...Are you sure the docx file is not corrupted ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean by the dock file? Word? Or what?
not dock but docx, the word document file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know. I have a ton of them and none of them are opening. How do I tell if they are corrupted?
Sorry for the delay...If you send any one file of it to me, i'll check it tell you if it corrupted or not.

Upload the .docx file into www.senduit.com and post the share/download link of that uploaded file in here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I attach a file to this reply?
Upload the .docx file into www.senduit.com website and post the share/download link of that uploaded file in here.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ashik,

Senduit appears to be having technical difficulties. I downloaded the converter again and it tells me there is an area with the docx file. I'll send you a file as soon as I can.
Okay..also download and install NeoOffice and try to open the Docx files in NeoOffice : http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, that looked promising, however, every file I try to open as a Neo office doc is corrupted and can't be fixed, or so it says. Are we at the end of the road?
Not yet, If NeoOffice shows that error it means the files are corrupted. So, i want you to send me one file and i'll check it and let you know what the problem is. I will also try to find a way to fix it..

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think I love you. Will do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Damn, senduit is still messed up.
Well, i just checked Senduit.com and no problem to me.Okay.. this time try mediafire.com. Its like Senduit.com. So goto www.mediafire.com and upload the file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will do.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, successful upload to mediafire. Now how do you get it?
Send me the links you got after uploading.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I do that?
After you finished uploading the file to mediafire.com, click the Share link and mediafire will give you the download link of the uploaded file. Just post the link in here... (see picture below)
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jczklkghtym
Sorry to say, but these documents are corrupted somehow. I even tried to recover using third party professional recovery softwares but couldn't recover it. Seems like i can't do anything now..Sorry i couldn't solve your problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your effort, lesson learned, I mean unplug the backup drive next time.

I will certainly hit accept and be talking to you again.

albert