Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi. Thought I did just pose a question that Ashik was going

Hi. Thought I did just pose a question that Ashik was going to answer. Sorry if I misspelled your name young man. My query is how can I get onto Safari? It crashes almost immediately when I click on. Started last night. I work 12 hrs/day so just getting to it now. Have Ibook G4 running OSX 10.4.11.
Hi there,
I'm sorry for the delayed response...Have you did an Safari updates prior to this problem ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you mean recently, no. From time to time I am offered updates and generally accept But there was nothing 'updated' recently. I mostly use my computer for hotmail. I don't need the latest improvements. Currently working at a remote location in N.Dakota. Owner of camp prohibits much, including Facebook and other social networking sites. Last screen I saw was inbox from girlfriend on Hotmail. Clicked on her message, screen said FORBIDDEN and crashed. Continually crashes since then.
We can try to delete Safari's Preferences.

(Deleting Preferences will also delete your saved Username and Passwords, cookies, caches, history in Safari etc)

Close Safari and goto Macintosh HD/Users/[your user name folder]/Library/Preferences folder and move the file "" into desktop.

(Macintosh HD is your Hard Disk)

Now open Safari and see if it works or not...Please let me know how it goes..

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ashik. Did as you instructed, with the caveat that I went to the apple icon and selected MAC OSX Software, as I do not have the safari icon in my toolbar. Crashed.
Sorry for the delay..had to go out. Okay..This time trash the files. If you can't find the file, search it and trash it.

Edited by Ashik on 7/9/2010 at 8:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
O.K. Ashik. Did as you instructed and then emptied the trash. No change. Still crashes immediately.
May be your Safari application is corrupted. We can reinstall Safari Goto Applications folder and trash Safari. Now download and install Safari 4 Tiger Edition from here :

There is a chance of getting some errors while installing Safari, let me know if you are getting any errors.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
O.K. Ashik, I downloaded it. What do I do with it now? How do I install it?
Just double click on the downloaded file and it'll open the installer screen and you can see the setup files in it. Open it and follow the onscreen instructions to install.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
O.K. Ashik. Tried installing. It says that installing this software requires 127 mb of space. I have 12.0 Gb free. Is a mega byte bigger than a gigabyte? It also says that I can't install it on this volume, as this Update requires Security Update 2009-002. So what do I do now sir?
No, Gigabyte is bigger than Megabyte i.e 1GB = 1024MB

Click on the Apple menu and select "Software Update". Update all your softwares and after updating, install Safari. Let me know..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ashik. Don't see my last message posted so I guess it didn't make it through to you. Had to go to Montana last night. No internet where I went. Back now. Successfully loaded Safari. But still crashes exactly the same as the first version that we started with. Where to now, m' man?
We tried every possible solutions and i think you may need to reinstall your Mac OS X.You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one. So Archive and Install will fix Safari.

Archive and Install : Read More

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ashik. Don't have disks with me. Not til 22nd. Any other options?
There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps or not.

Create new user Account
  • Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type an administrator name and password.
  • Click Add (+) and type the user's name.
  • Type the user's password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify boxes.
  • Logout from Apple menu and login to the new account
  • Try Safari.

If it works in new account, you can use the new account until you get the discs. Or you can transfer the files from old account to new one.

Edited by Ashik on 7/11/2010 at 4:19 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well that did it! And the new version looks fresh indeed! Thanks. Chris. Good night Ashik.
Well, glad that worked. You can copy your old account's files ie. your iTunes, iPhoto, Documents etc from your old account to new account.

Goto Users/[yourold account]/ folder and copy all important files like Pictures, iTunes music, Documents and everything except Library folder into Users/[your new account/.folder.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I access the Users/[yuorold account]/ folder ashik?
Its on your hard disk Macintosh HD. In your new account, open Macintosh HD and you can see the Users folder. Open it and you can see your two account (old and new one) in there. Open the old account's folder and copy it contents (don't copy library folder) and open Macintosh HD > Users > your new account's folder and paste the files in there. You'll be asked to replace the files, choose Yes and continue. Let me know if you have any questions..

You don't have to copy the applications...BTW, Thanks for Accepting my answer and the Positive Feedback.

Best Regards,