Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a 24 screen IMAC I purchased last fall which I absolutely

I have a 24" screen IMAC I purchased last fall which I absolutely love. However, I lost power yesterday due to a heat caused blackout in my neighborhood. The IMAC was plugged into a surge protector as are all my electronic devices but the IMAC was on although in "sleep" mode. When the power came back on I started it up as usual and a very loud fan noise that I have never heard before started whirring. It's been a day now and it's still whirring unless I put it in "sleep" mode or turn it off. The whirring is so loud that I can't carry on a phone conversation next to my Mac which makes phone support very problematic. HELP! I can't live without my Mac.

Chuck
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Is your Mac is over heating ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't think so. The whirring begins immediately upon turning it on or getting it out of sleep mode. Also, it never stops.
We can try to reset the SMC (System Management Controller) of your Mac. I hope it'll fix the fan issues..

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Press and hold the power button for 6 seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Attach the computers power cable.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Let me know how it goes...