Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

want to upgrade my macbook 10.4 to 10.6, what external hard

want to upgrade my macbook 10.4 to 10.6, what external hard drive to you recommend? And are there any that are 'free'
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Why you need a external drive ? You can upgrade directly on your internal drive ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi, In reviewing next steps it sounds like a back up is required. Is that not the case?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Backup is optional, but its a good idea to backup because there is a chance of loss of files during the upgrade. You can buy any external drive, USB or Firewire. Both will work fine with Mac. The main problem is, you are using Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. 10.6 Snow Leopard requires Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard pre-installed. So you need to upgrade into Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard first then only you can upgrade into Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (10.5 Leopard costs $200-$300)

So buy Leopard Retail Discs and upgrade into it first. Its not very easy to get Leopard from Retail Stores like Best Buy, Apple Store etc but you can buy it from online stores like or (Make sure you're buying a Mac OS X 10.5 RETAIL Discs and not Restore/Gray Discs)

You can buy Snow Leopard discs from Apple store or from online for $29.

You can use this application, Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your files. CCC will backup your entire hard disk, so if anything goes wrong, you can just restore your files easily :

Once you get the discs, just put it in and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade.

Let me know if you need more help !

Best Regards,