loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

Hi, I am having problems sending email from my earthlink account

Customer Question

Hi, I am having problems sending email from my earthlink account we have a tmobil hot spot for our internet connection. I can receive emails just not send them out. can someone help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. Which email program are you using? Also, what version of OS X is your Mac running? Please let me know if you need help finding this information. Lastly, within your email program, please tell me what you currently have configured for your outgoing mail server information?

Customer:

i have a Mac osx 10.5.8

loadedmind :

Can you please answer the other questions?

Customer:

I have earthlink and I'm not sure how it is configured, I have a tmobil hot spot for internet connection.

loadedmind :

What do you open on your Mac when you send/receive email?

Customer:

earthlink, with entourage

loadedmind :

Entourage 2004 or 2008?

Customer:

2008

loadedmind :

Does your email address end with @earthlink.net?

Customer:

yes

loadedmind :

Ok, great. Thanks for the info. If you will, please open Entourage.

Customer:

ok

loadedmind :

With it opened, click the word Entourage next to the Apple icon and choose Account Settings.

loadedmind :

Double click the account you see in the new window to open its properties.

Customer:

ok

loadedmind :

You should now be looking at Account Settings

loadedmind :

With Personal Information and Authentication as different sections in this window

loadedmind :

is that right?

Customer:

yes, Im having issues with all these windows open, but I'm doing my best

loadedmind :

haha, I hear you. Ok, click the Advanced button at the top.

loadedmind :

Please tell me what you have for Server Information.

Customer:

my smtp is smtpath.earthlink.net

Customer:

i have tried changing this to mobil me aoc**t to see if email goes out but then I can't receive or send, so at least with earthlink smtp I can recieive email just not send.

loadedmind :

smtpauth?

Customer:

yes, sorry

Customer:

I have a tmobil hot spot for internet connection could this be the problem?

loadedmind :

I'm researching, one moment please.

Customer:

no prob

loadedmind :

Ok, do you know how to take a screenshot on the Mac?

loadedmind :

I need you to screenshot the Advanced screen from Entourage before we make any changes to it.

loadedmind :

I can walk you through taking it if you like.

Customer:

no, how?

Customer:

ok

loadedmind :

Ok, let me explain what will happen so you'll be aware of the expectations before you actually do it.

Customer:

ok

loadedmind :

On your keyboard, press command+shift+4 and your mouse cursor will turn into a crosshair. From here, you click and drag the outline over the region you wish to screenshot.

loadedmind :

Unless you've changed something, the result will be "Picture 1.jpg" on your Desktop.

loadedmind :

Go ahead and give it a shot. It might take you a few times to get it right.

loadedmind :

You won't hurt anything by making several screenshots.

Customer:

ok, got it what do you want me to do next

loadedmind :

Make sure the resulting screenshot contains the information for your incoming/outgoing mail servers before we continue please.

loadedmind :

I like to have a copy of settings before I begin tinkering with anything in the event we need to revert settings for whatever reason.

loadedmind :

it's a CYA thing

Customer:

I did it but what do I do after this now it says 44 in myaccount page

loadedmind :

44 where?

loadedmind :

for the server?

Customer:

[pop]

loadedmind :

Can you insert that screenshot into our chat session here so I can see what you're talking about?

Customer:

How do Iinsert?

Customer:

I can try and send you this if you can explain how to insert to you , is it like cutting and pasting?

loadedmind :

You should have an icon that allows you to attach an image.

loadedmind :

Insert/edit image

loadedmind :

Do you see a toolbar that allows you to change the style of text, quote, format, bulleting, numbering, etc.?

loadedmind :

Resembles Microsoft Word's format toolbar if you know what I'm talking about.

Customer:

I'm having a hard time inserting the info., do you work remote?

loadedmind :

Yes. What problems are you having?

loadedmind :

Maybe I can help

loadedmind :

Or, we can do it a different way. You can simply jot down your server settings before we continue.

loadedmind :

I can then tell you what to input in the outgoing mail server field within Entourage.

Customer:

my old tech guy was able to get on my computer and do the work, do you have this ability?

Customer:

I could see everything he was doing and when he logged off.

loadedmind :

The problem is that remote access you speak of is currently a violation of JustAnswer's Terms of Service.

loadedmind :

I don't personally agree with it, but I have to abide by their rules so that I can keep my job with them.

loadedmind :

I believe they do this because of liability risks.

Customer:

I see, I guess you could get in trouble... well we can work the slow way I guess.

loadedmind :

But they still have remote access as something they're looking into.

loadedmind :

Yeah, I'm sorry about that. It would be so much easier for me if we could do the remote access thing.

Customer:

that will save them and all us much time!

Customer:

I know my problem is not a difficult one I just am having a setting problem and i;m not sure which setting to change

loadedmind :

Back in Entourage, replace your outgoing mail server (smtpauth) with the following:

loadedmind :

myemail.t-mobile.com

loadedmind :

You definitely want SMTP our outgoing mail server field

loadedmind :

were you not able to attach your screenshot to this session?

Customer:

not able to attach, but will try replacing mail server now

loadedmind :

ok

loadedmind :

SMTP port should be the default which is port 25

loadedmind :

authentication type should be set to none

loadedmind :

or password XXXXX you don't have an option for "none"

Customer:

can you help me on the phone this is not working for me

Customer:

time is not on my side so if we can't figure thsi out soon, I will have to quit

loadedmind :

I'm really not supposed to do this, but what's your number?

Customer: (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
loadedmind :

Calling from 256 area code

loadedmind :

Getting your voicemail

Customer:

better number is XXXXX /p>

loadedmind :

apparently JustAnswer automatically X'ed out that number

loadedmind :

can you check voicemail for that number from where you are?

loadedmind :

the 310 number

Customer:

the 310 number is XXXXX and doesnt come in well 949 is better XXXXXXXXXX or(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>