loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

In Console on my mac, i see logs like these running constantly.

OS 10.6.3<br /><br />In Console on my mac, i see logs like these running constantly.   <br /> <br />Is there a way for me to kill this Deamon? <br /> <br />"7/2/10 12:23:08 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.google.Desktop.Daemon[26144]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4198 (24003):2 <br />7/2/10 12:23:08 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.google.Desktop.Daemon[26144]) posix_spawn("/Library/Google/Google Desktop/GoogleDesktopDaemon.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GoogleDesktopDaemon", ...): No such file or directory <br />7/2/10 12:23:08 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.google.Desktop.Daemon[26144]) Exited with exit code: 1 <br />7/2/10 12:23:08 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.google.Desktop.Daemon) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds" <br /> <br />Apparently there are two different ones that are causing issues. Here is the second. <br /> <br />"7/2/10 12:30:56 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.mozy.backup[26344]) posix_spawn("/Applications/MozyHome.app/Contents/Resources/MozyHomeBackup", ...): No such file or directory <br />7/2/10 12:30:56 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.mozy.backup[26344]) Exited with exit code: 1 <br />7/2/10 12:30:56 PM     com.apple.launchd[1]     (com.mozy.backup) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds" <br /> <br />Please let me know if you would like more logs, and how i should get them to you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
loadedmind :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John. The daemons you mention from your Console logs are spawned from the Application/Utilitiy you installed on your Mac so, short answer here is yes, you can kill the daemon. However, the problem will simply rear its ugly head again if you don't remove the Application/Utility responsible for spawning the daemon. This may not have the desired effect you're hoping for as you probably installed the Application/Utility to meet an objective so, in removing it, you've removed that functionality.

Perhaps it would be better for me to ask you what your underlying goal here is or what the underlying problem really is? Are these applications becoming unresponsive? Have you tried uninstalling reinstalling them? The ones in question are:
* Mozy Home Backup
* Google Desktop

loadedmind :

If you wish for them to remain on your system (and, perhaps, you're currently having issues with these applications' stability?), then I would suggest uninstalling/reinstalling these applications, then performing a "Repair Disk Permissions" from Disk Utility. Here are the instructions for performing this process:
Repairing Disk Permissions
------------------------------------

1) Close any/all applications, programs, etc.

2) Open the Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> and then Disk Utility

3) From the left pane toward the top, select Macintosh HD (or whatever name you've called it if changed from default)

4) From the right pane toward the bottom, select the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Once complete, reboot your Mac.

Note: This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so. Things that can affect the time it takes Repair Disk Permissions to complete:

* Whether you've run Repair Disk Permissions or not
* How fast your computer is

From my experience, I've seen this utility fix all sorts of issues - anywhere from Applications/Utilities not launching or responding to Mac computers not booting properly. Because of this, I recommend you do this once every couple of months and any time you perform an Apple Software Update

Customer:

Hello John,

Customer:

I guess I wasn't thinking very clear when i wrote that i don't know what to try. I have tried reinstalling the mozy app and completely uninstalling the google apps. I have also ran Applejack to fix permissions, but these warnings just don't stop. At this point, If i can delete whatever is causing these deamons to kick on, i would be all for it. I have run a full backup on my machine yesterday and am willing to delete just about anything right now to stop these logs. I believe that they are affecting the performance of my machine.

loadedmind :

You might very well be correct. Another tool that comes with OS X is Activity Monitory (found in Finder->Applications->Utilties folder). Click Show all processes at top right and you can see what daemons/processes are currently running. If you click one time on the daemon/process to highlight it in blue, then choose Inspect at the top, you will see additional information. Specifically, if you click "Open Files and Ports" in this window, you will see how the daemon/process is called. Before you start deleting things, know that there are shared libraries that are used among more than one process/daemon. So, for these two apps, it would be best if you would highlight each one and obtain the full paths from Open Files and Ports and send this in your reply so I can assist you with removing only what is necessary, this might work best at this point. Another alternative you can use in the future is an Application for the Mac called AppDelete. You can find more information about this app from this website:
http://www.reggieashworth.com/moreinfo

loadedmind :

As the website states, "AppDelete is an uninstaller for Macs that will remove not only Applications but also Widgets, Preference Panes, Plugins and Screensavers along with their associated files. Without AppDelete these associated items will be left behind to take up space and potentially cause issues. For a proper uninstall don’t just delete but be sure to AppDelete!

loadedmind :

It's only $8 US and might just be your best bet. Applications are supposed to uninstall themselves by you dragging the Application icon (from /Applications folder) to the Trash, then emptying it. However, this doesn't remove everything as you are now seeing.

loadedmind :

Another alternative that's free is AppCleaner. You can download it here:

loadedmind :

http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

loadedmind :

Let me know whether any of this helps. I need to step away from the computer for a bio break.

Customer:

Thank you much,

Customer:

I'm downloading/installing AppCleaner now

Customer:

I'll let you know how it goes

Customer:

looks like it worked for Mozy, as i was able to reinstall Mozy and then use this AppCleaner tool to uninstall it

Customer:

unfortunately it looks like the Google Desktop app has become a new app alltogether since this one was deleted

Customer:

I tried installing the new Google Desktop app and removing it via AppCleaner, but no love

Customer:

Here's what i see in regards XXXXX XXXXX in my Activity Monitor

Customer:

/
/sbin/launchd
/usr/lib/libauditd.0.dylib
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64
/dev/null
->0x05d6e324
->0x05d6e324
/private/etc/security/audit_control
count=1, state=0x1
/tmp/launchd-487.KmpLNa/sock
[1:1:0]
/dev/autofs_nowait
/private/etc/security/audit_class
->0x06900050
/tmp/launch-X4cbhO/Render
->0x06900950
/tmp/launch-cwQ2WB/Listeners
/tmp/launch-3YV1Dy/org.x:0
/System/Library/UserEventPlugins
/private/etc
/private/var/db/PanicReporter
/private/etc/RemoteManagement.launchd
/Library
/Library/Caches
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AirPortBaseStationAgent.launchd
->0x06900ef0
->0x05d6a240
->0x05d6f648
->0x05d6e3ec
->0x05d6f008
->0x06901490
->0x05d6a000
->0x05d6e388
/tmp/launchd-487.KmpLNa/sock
->0x05d6d7d0
->0x05d6d064
->0x05d6dc1c
->0x05d6ed4c
->0x05d6d76c
->0x05d6d578
->0x07df7968
->0x05d6d3e8
->0x05d6d320
->0x05d6d258
->0x05d6d1f4
->0x05d6e770
->0x05d6d4b0
->0x05d6e9c8
->0x07df7ee0
->0x07df7e18
->0x07df7d50
->0x07df7f44
->0x05d6e450
->0x05d6e57c
->0x05d6da28
->0x07df7198
->0x05d6f6ac
->0x07df7bc0
->0x07df78a0

Customer:

whatever this Deamon is doing it's exiting so fast that it doesn't appear in the Activity Monitor at all

loadedmind :

Looks like Activity Monitor is only showing links instead of actual locations for those that start with ->

loadedmind :

Yeah, that actually sounds about right

loadedmind :

which version of Google Desktop, do you know?

Customer:

you mean the original

Customer:

I'm not sure

loadedmind :

yes

loadedmind :

ok

loadedmind :

How did you attempt to remove Google Desktop before?

loadedmind :

Also, are you using FileVault?

Customer:

It was so long ago, i'm not sure. I'm pretty positive that i just put the app in the trash

Customer:

I'm not using FileVault

loadedmind :

Can you see Google Desktop when you open System Preferences?

Customer:

should i be?

Customer:

nope

loadedmind :

So no Google Desktop in System Preferences

loadedmind :

hmmm

Customer:

on line it says you could delete it through there or through the google updater app

loadedmind :

Ok, do this for me please. Open Finder, then open Applications->Utiltiies and find Terminal

Customer:

I don't have google updater app on my machine and can't find it to install

loadedmind :

roger that

Customer:

done

loadedmind :

Have you ever used Terminal before?

Customer:

ha

Customer:

yeah a little

loadedmind :

ok

Customer:

i know enough to be dangerous

loadedmind :

I'm going to have you type a command and I need you to please type it exactly as I have typed it, ok?

loadedmind :

sudo find / -iname '*google*'

Customer:

can do

loadedmind :

when it prompts you to enter your password, to warn you, you won't see the characters as you type them, but rest assured they're going in

loadedmind :

once you've typed your password, hit return

Customer:

hm.. it's not taking my pass

loadedmind :

read above. 8^) I just addressed this

Customer:

i can ssh as root

Customer:

ah

loadedmind :

This is a Unix thing

Customer:

it's going now

loadedmind :

it's as designed - for security so that if someone should be looking over your shoulder, they won't see the password

Customer:

right

Customer:

wow. lot's of stuff coming back from that command

loadedmind :

like, more than 50 lines?

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

it just finished, but it's a couple hundred lines

loadedmind :

ok. we might need to do this a different way then

loadedmind :

type this at Terminal

loadedmind :

cd /

loadedmind :

ls /Users

loadedmind :

what is the result of the ls command?

Customer:

Shared dalim daltomcat demo flathead postgres randerson twistadm xinetdemo

loadedmind :

which one is yours?

Customer:

randerson

loadedmind :

ok

loadedmind :

let's try this command:

loadedmind :

oops

loadedmind :

forgot one thing

loadedmind :

don't type that yet

loadedmind :

find / -iname '*google*' -exec ls -lah {} \; > /Users/randerson/googleresults.txt;

loadedmind :

find / -iname '*google*' -exec ls -lah {} \; > /Users/randerson;

loadedmind :

this should take what find finds and put it in a file called googleresults.txt

loadedmind :

Then I'll need you to send that to me when it completes

loadedmind :

dang

loadedmind :

forgot the sudo on the front

loadedmind :

ok, last try

Customer:

ha

Customer:

no worries

loadedmind :

sudo find / -iname '*google*' -exec ls -lah {} \; > /Users/jkholmes/googleresults.txt;

loadedmind :

except substitute jkholmes for randerson

loadedmind :

does the command make sense to you?

loadedmind :

basically, we're asking find to look in the root of your hard drive, using /, then ignore case, -iname then look for anything with google as text

loadedmind :

then, execute the command ls -lah on that result and send the results to a file in our home directory called googleresults

Customer:

kindof. We're looking for files that contain "google" in the name in my user account right

Customer:

oh

Customer:

cool

Customer:

what is -lah?

loadedmind :

l long listing a archive h human readable format

Customer:

good deal. ok just finished

Customer:

so i should have a new .txt file in my home dir

loadedmind :

can you send me that?

Customer:

right

loadedmind :

yes, that's correct

loadedmind :

do you see it?

Customer:

looking

Customer:

do want me to copy and paste it in here, or can i upload the file somewhere

loadedmind :

Try to upload the file

loadedmind :

let me find something for that

loadedmind :

send to loadedmind [at] gmail [dot] com

Customer:

crap

Customer:

i typed it wrong

loadedmind :

?

Customer:

one sec

loadedmind :

no worries

loadedmind :

8^)

Customer:

ok. that one should go

loadedmind :

ok

loadedmind :

checking

loadedmind :

alright, I looked it over

loadedmind :

How do you currently back up?

loadedmind :

to an external hard drive?

Customer:

that was quick

Customer:

i do now

loadedmind :

yeah, been doing this a while. 8^)

loadedmind :

ok, when was the last time you did a backup?

Customer:

today

loadedmind :

great

loadedmind :

type this command exactly as I type it please:

Customer:

will do

loadedmind :

sudo rm -f /Library/Google/GoogleML/Modules/CaminoGoogleDesktop.googleml/Contents/MacOS/CaminoGoogleDesktop

loadedmind :

Here's the next command for Terminal:

Customer:

ok

loadedmind :

sudo rm -f /Library/Google/GoogleML/Modules/CaminoGoogleDesktop.googleml/Contents/Resources/libgoogleintercept.dylib

Customer:

that one is done

Customer:

ok

Customer:

done

loadedmind :

here's the next command:

loadedmind :

sudo rm -f /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.google*

Customer:

done

loadedmind :

now let's go ahead and perform a restart and check Activity Monitor to see whether the same info gets populated

loadedmind :

I'll be here waiting

Customer:

perfect. thanks. brb

Customer:

i'm back

loadedmind :

cool!

Customer:

opening console now

loadedmind :

ok

loadedmind :

You're looking for entries beyond about 2 minutes ago, btw

loadedmind :

but you probably already knew that

Customer:

ha

Customer:

yeah. it looks like that did stop the Google deamon stuff

loadedmind :

ok, cool

Customer:

I see an asascript error or two now though

Customer:

but everyhting appears to be working correctly

Customer:

just poking arround a min, but i think that did it

Customer:

I really appreciate it. I don't think it was hurting the performance that bad, but it was driving crazy that i knew it was constantly spitting out those errors

loadedmind :

ok. Keep in mind you'll see quite a bit of "warning" or "info" level stuff in Console that might not necessarily be worthwhile

loadedmind :

Console's verbosity can be controlled, fyi

loadedmind :

Understood. Don't forget to repair disk permissions every so often and flush your cache

loadedmind :

I use something called Onyx for this

loadedmind :

just be careful with it and make sure you know what you're doing before you do it, like anything else really

loadedmind :

keep those backups updated

loadedmind :

8^)

Customer:

I saw a little about that when poking around to try to find a solution for this. I'll read up more on that.

Customer:

Will do

Customer:

thanks again

loadedmind :

no problem, glad I could help

loadedmind :

take care

Customer:

i'm accepting my answer now

Customer:

will do

Customer:

you too

loadedmind :

8^)

Customer:

have a happy 4th

loadedmind :

Oh, and have a great 4th!

loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.