Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

hi i am trying to create a presentation for a poster on ppt.

hi i am trying to create a presentation for a poster on ppt. the dimensions are 38 inches wide and 70 inches tall. i can't seem to be able to change the page format. when i set it to those dimensions, i get an error message, and it seems that the width is OK but the height is set down to 56. can i override that?

thank you so much
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

You'll want to scale down the image in another application first. An image that large is way too big for powerpoint.

Try opening the image in Preview (located in your Applications folder), and from the Tools menu, choose Adjust Size. Then, set it to Percentage, and knock it down to, at the most, 25%. That should make it large enough to look good in your presentation, and small enough for Powerpoint to be able to use it.

That should do it. If what I recommended doesn't help, or if you have additional questions, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks but this doesnt make sense. what image are you suggesting i open in preview, if i can't create the image in the first place?
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

You'll need to use another another applications to create the poster itself, as the dimensions you're describing are far too large for presentation software. Also keep in mind that presentations are based on the projector that will be used, not any kind of physical printing needs.

Hope that helps a little more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if I understand correctly, you're saying it's impossible to create it in ppt, right? In looking over both your responses, i think you're thinking about a presetation for a projector, but i was originally talking about printing poster.

still confused but that's OK
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Okay, so if you're trying to create a poster, you'll definitely need to use some image editing software like Photoshop or Gimp, something designed to handle large scale images.

Things like Keynote and Powerpoint are strictly for the organization of slides and media, into a presentation.