Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

Hopefully this is rather simple...I have been having an Airport

Customer Question

Hopefully this is rather simple...I have been having an Airport Extreme connected to DSL and my desktop Dell PC for the past year...my wireless network has and continues to work fine. I recently bought an Airport Express so that I could extend my existing network further in the house.
I'm having trouble setting up the express: specifically, when I plug in the express right next to my extreme and open "airport utility" on my PC, the express just continues to blink amber and the utility doesn't recognize the express (only the extreme)...I've read numerous forums for help, and have tried numerous times to "hard reset" the express, but doesn't seem to matter.
Interestingly enough, I also have a macbook, and the express IS recognized (as a "generic" apple network xxxxxx following the reset)....
My question(s) -- how do I set this darn thing up?...should I install "utility" on my macbook and try to set it up from there?...my extreme is on my pc so I think I should be able to have it recognize the express and "join" the network...SOMEHOW!...thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Good day,

This is a simple fix if you have the right directions. Follow this link for the full instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2044

In the instructions at that link, you will basically be configuring your extreme & express to wireless connect to eachother. The Express will then be used as a wireless repeater, which will, you guessed it, repeate the signal of the Extreme. You will be able to put the Express anywhere in the house and it will intercept all wireless transmissions and retransmit them.

Please, update me on your status if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you // Peace.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think we're on the right track, but let me ask first...these instructions appear to be working on a Mac -- my Extreme is connected to my Dell PC and the Airport Utility is loaded on it as well...can I use my Macbook to do this? (i.e., configure the Extreme and Express together)...and if so, I guess I'll first have to install "Airport Utility" onto the Macbook?...#2 in the directions says to "open Airport Admin Utility from the Utilities folder" -- don't think I have a "utilities folder" on my macbook, nor to I think I have the Airport Utility installed either.
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
I am opting out of this question and allowing another expert to help.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).

Yes and Yes, that is for your Mac questions. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products