loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

im having a problem with VPN timeout on my new macbook pr

Customer Question

i'm having a problem with VPN timeout on my new macbook pro.
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
loadedmind :

Which software are you using for your VPN? Is this Cisco's?

Customer :

This is PPTP VPN supplied by my company.

loadedmind :

What version of OS X are you using?

Customer:

10.6.4

loadedmind :

So you've created a new device in System Preferences->Network and the new device is VPN native client that comes with Snow Leopard, correct?

loadedmind :

Also, have you tried connecting to your VPN from different locations besides the location that has Comcast internet service?

Customer:

Yes, I created a VPN connection in System Preferences->Network, and the connection is PPTP.

Customer:

I have connected to the same VPN server from my Windows-based PC, both from home (Comcast ISP) and from Starbucks, etc.

Customer:

The problem seems unique to the MacBookPro.

loadedmind :

From the MacBook Pro, have you tried connecting to this same VPN while away from your Comcast connection? Say, from Starbucks or some place?

Customer:

no, i just got the macbook pro on tuesday of this week.

loadedmind :

ok, reason I ask is that VPN's tend to be finicky about the network they're connected on. Our next test is to try from another location. Doesn't matter where, as long as we're not behind Comcast's internet connection.

loadedmind :

Please open Terminal by going to Finder->Applications->Utilities and double-clicking Terminal

loadedmind :

let me know when you have that program open please

Customer:

i'm at work right now and don't have the MacBook with me.

Customer:

it will be a few hours before i go home.

loadedmind :

That's fine. Just let me know when you can get to it and we'll go from there. I'm going to be unavailable for the next few hours, fyi.

Customer:

It's now 13:10 pacific daylight time. By 15:00 I can go to an internet cafe to try troubleshooting from there. Will you be available?

loadedmind :

Sorry, was unavailable. This weekend is a busy weekend for my family. It might be best for us to continue this tomorrow. In case you're wondering where I'm taking you next, I simply need to verify whether your laptop allowed you to connect to your VPN and stay connected for longer than the 5 minutes while away from Comcast internet. Were you able to test that while you were at the internet cafe by chance. Depending on your answer will depend on where we need to go next with the troubleshooting process.

Customer:

I have solved the problem on my own. How do I get a refund?

loadedmind :

Submit an email toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and explain your situation include this question's full URL.

loadedmind :

What was the solution, if you wouldn't mind divulging?

Customer:

No problem. It was my VOIP router.