Alan_Ramos
Alan_Ramos, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple ACMT Certified and GSX enabled - 19+ years experience.
35527581

I have an iMac at home and another at the office. I want to

Customer Question

I have an iMac at home and another at the office. I want to connect to my office iMac from home, using Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, which is what MIS requires me to do - I am not allowed to use LogMein or GotomyPC, etc.

I am able to connect to the network with Cisco, but what do I use to connect to my desktop? Microsoft's Remote Desktop for Mac is only for controlling Windows-based PCs from a Mac.

I have set up sharing on my office Mac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using justanswer.com

What OS are you running? at home and at work ie. 10.4.11 or 10.5.6

If you click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose about this mac. It will tell you the version number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10.6.4 - both at home and at the office.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
On your office Mac. Click on the Apple icon in the top left and choose system preferences

Click on Sharing and Turn on Screen Sharing

For Allow access make sure you are listed or all users

Above where it says Computer Settings, it will list the ip address. Write this down
For this example mine is vnc://192.168.4.4

On your home computer do the following:

Click on the face icon on the left-hand side of your dock

Click on Go at the very top and Connect to server.

Type vnc://your ip address from above. Mine would be vnc://192.168.4.4

This would allow you to connect.

If you run into network issues connecting, another great solution that I use is teamviewer. You can download it for free here. Install it on both your office Mac and at home.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On my office computer I don't get an ip address under "computer settings" when I turn on screen sharing. I get this: vnc://xpdjsjvc1.xxxx.xxx. Then, when I enter this address in the Finder under Go/Connect to server, after a while I get an error message: Connection failed. Please make sure that Screen Sharing is enabled....... Also make sure your netowrk connection is working properly.

I am sure Teamviewer will work, but as I pointed out in my original question, I am only allowed to use Cisco AnyConnect.

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Turn Screen Sharing off and then on again. By going into System Preferences and Sharing. Uncheck and then recheck to cycle it on and off.

Click on Show All at the top

Click on Security in System Preferences

Click on Firewall and click Stop to turn it off. If it is greyed out click on the lock in the bottom left to unlock.

Click on Show All at the top and Network

Click on your Network connect and your ip address should be listed here.

Try this number instead of xpdjsjvc1.xxxx.xxx
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed all your steps and got an IP number" 10.76.xxx.x but i still get the same error message as before.
Expert:  Alan_Ramos replied 4 years ago.

My name isXXXXX - an Apple and PC computer expert. I think I might be able to help you.

Connect to your office network using the VPN software supplied by your IT department. You should wait for an IP address to appear in the VPN client monitor which likely will have a different IP range than your office desktop will have. This is normal.

Now, can you please navigate to your Utilities folder on your hard drive and launch the Network Utility application.

Choose the option to PING and enter the IP address you received when you followed the previous steps. (This was the 10.76.x.x number you would have gotten from your office desktop Mac.)

Enter this into the IP address field of the Network Utility app and let me know if your home Mac, through the VPN tunnel, is able to 'find' your office Mac or if it gets a response at all.

You may paste your PING results into your reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your response. I will try it and let you know what happened.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK - here are the PING results:

Ping has started…

PING 10.76.103.2 (10.76.103.2): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=0 ttl=62 time=19.298 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=1 ttl=62 time=21.936 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=2 ttl=62 time=19.309 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=3 ttl=62 time=21.404 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=4 ttl=62 time=18.898 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=5 ttl=62 time=18.888 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=6 ttl=62 time=20.779 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=7 ttl=62 time=20.648 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=8 ttl=62 time=22.238 ms
64 bytes from 10.76.103.2: icmp_seq=9 ttl=62 time=19.459 ms

--- 10.76.103.2 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 18.888/20.286/22.238/1.210 ms