Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

I HAVE A 2YR OLD MAC. IS THERE A WAY TO ISOLATE MY MUSIC COLLECTION

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2YR OLD MAC. IS THERE A WAY TO ISOLATE MY MUSIC COLLECTION ON ITUNES TO A 2TB EXTERNAL DRIVE? PRESENTLY I HAVE CLOSE TO 2000 CDS ON THE MAC. I WOULD LIKE TO FREE UP THE SPACE ON THE MAC, AND HAVE THE MUSIC AS A STAND ALONE ON THE EXTERNAL.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).

Do you have a Time Machine? Or, AppleTV?

Edited by Richard on 7/2/2010 at 1:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i believe that there is just a provision for it. Is it a separate piece of hardware? I do have Lacie 2TB external.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest purchasing an AppleTV. It is a great device and I have it set up just like you want. Then you can do so many things and it has HDMI to connect to your TV.

And then with the remote you can DJ with it and show pictures while the music content is playing. It also has Internet Radio and many other great features. I love mine!

It's really awesome. :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This isn't really what I wanted. I just wanted to put all the music on the external & free space from the Mac HD. The music is currently taking up 46GB.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Then just copy the music folder to the external drive. Or whatever music you like to copy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I do that? Can I move all of iTunes to the external? And will it free up the space on the Mac?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Copy the selected music files to the external drive then delete on the Mac. Then it will free up space after you empty the trash.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not really happy with this answer. I've tried doing that already. I think that I need someone with hands on expertise to do it for me. I appreciate your efforts. I'm not going to be charged, am I ?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
If you feel that I provided no value to your issue then you have the right not to pay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry Richard, I don't want to pay & will explore locally. Please see that I'm not charged. Thank you.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Good luck and check back with any future issues.

We'll be happy to serve you! :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
SO I'M NOT BEING CHARGED? RIGHT?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. THANK YOU FOR CHECKING.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
You're very welcome! :)