Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis
37817776

received message there was a problem with sync operation .mac

Customer Question

received message: there was a problem with sync operation .mac login failed

i am using PowerBook G4
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 4 years ago.
HI I am one of the experts here on Just Answer.com

I was wondering could you tell me what version of the MAC OSX you are running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

10.4.11

Forgot to mention my problems started about a week ago when Safari opened in Yahoo despite being set to open Google. Haven't resolved that problem either. Don't know if they are connected

Do a search for "dotmac" and subsequent delete of the following three files

'com.apple.DotMacSync.plist',

'com.apple.dotmactranslator.plst'

'dotmacsync.log'

followed by a restart should solve the issue solve your issue

Are these the three files you were mentioning before?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have already tried this and it won't allow me to put these files in trash. I told you this when you asked what I had already tried.

Have just tried again with the same result.

I just wanted to make sure if that was what you were referring to in your post

One question however is your account the administrator account on your mac?

If not log in with the Root account and try to delete these files

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I am the Administrator
OK try this

create a dummy admin account on your Mac, logged into it and set up sync services. don't actually sync anything, I just set it up.

then logged out of the dummy account, log into the real account and delete the dummy account saving the files (do not delete immediately, keep the files).

Then under the drive, go to Users>Deleted Users and mount the dummy account information drive.

Go to Library>Application Support and copy the 'Sync Services' folder over to your library overwriting the existing data.

just reopened system preferences and then test sync

Let me know if this works for you

Edited by Omer Mushahwar on 7/3/2010 at 1:11 AM EST