Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience

I have a maxtor dv 3000 external HD that I used with a previous

Customer Question

I have a maxtor dv 3000 external HD that I used with a previous iMac. The HD is running - but haven't used in a couple of years -- and it was never used much at all. Never been dropped or damaged in any way that I know of. I've just upgraded to a new Mac running OS 10.6, and when I plug in the HD to check it out, it's just not being recognized by the computer at all, no matter what I do.

I think it's a compatibility issue because of the new operating system that's causing the drive to not be seen. Is there any way to fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

Open Disk Utility (located in your Applications->Utilities folder), and look for it on the left side of the window. If it's listed, you can use the Erase feature to formate it for your Mac.

If you don't see it listed on the left, then either the drive has failed, or it's enclosure has. If the drive is gone, you're out of luck. If the enclosure is bad, you can simply purchase a new one at Best Buy or any local electronics store.

That should do it. If what I recommended doesn't help, or if you have additional questions, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.