Jesse
Jesse, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Life-long Apple Geek & Power User, 10+Years Apple Experience
27955634

I just got a mac book and tried to use migrate to transfer

Customer Question

I just got a mac book and tried to use migrate to transfer information from my iMac to the new mac book. I was given a passcode for the macBook then asked for a passcode for the iMac. Where do I get the passcode for the imac from which I'm trying to transfer information?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help.

You need to open Migration Assistant on the older computer as well, then you'll be provided with the passcode.

That should do it. If what I recommended doesn't help, or if you have additional questions, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already did that; still asked for a second passcode from the mac from which the information was to be transferred; still no idea where to find the passcode.
Sorry, that didn't help.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
How are the 2 computers connected?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First I used the Airport wireless option; when that didn't work (because of the required passcode) the I connected them with an Ethernet cable.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Quit Migration Assistant on both, and start over, beginning with the older Mac. Make sure to select the proper direction when doing it again (e.g. the older Mac is being transfered from).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried that twice last night; tried it again this morning. Same problem; request for a seemingly non-existent passcode on the imac. Since the only passcode I can find is the one they give me in the migration instructions I put it in again which sends the program looking for another computer.
Since you've only given answers that I already tried and that don't work, we're getting nowhere.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
I must be missing something in your setup.

Let me know what version of Mac OS each computer is using, and which options you're choosing after you open Migration Assistant on each computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The iMac is 10.4.11; the macbook is 10.6.4. I've tried starting with the imac and then tried starting with the macbook. In each case, I go forward until I'm prompted to start the other computer's migration program. The passcode request for the imac doesn't really make sense because the macbook passcode changes everytime I go through this process.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the passcode will change each time, but the only computer asking for the passcode, should be the one that's receiving information. Are you choosing the "Transfer information to another computer" option on the older computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
We are having a thunderstorm so I'm shutting down the computer till it's over.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Okay, just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trying but I'm no nearer a solution and I had tried everything you proposed, taking it right out of the MacBook book.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a have a firewire cable, and do both computers have a firewire port?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a firewire cable and the imac has a firewire port but the macbook does not.
Expert:  Jesse replied 4 years ago.
Try reading the official Apple document describing Migration Assistant here, and make sure everything is being followed, exactly.