iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

I just purchase my first Mac. (iMac G4) Obviously used. Anyway,

Customer Question

I just purchase my first Mac. (iMac G4) Obviously used. Anyway, I used it the first day fine with no problems using OSX 10.4.11. I updated the software to Leopard 10.5.xxxx. And gradually it started freezing up, until ultimately it would not get past the intro screen of the Apple logo and then the little loading icon. Once it seems like its done loading, the screen goes to a blank blue screen with a frozen pointer in the upper left hand corner..... What now?
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Hi ,
I would like to assist you with this problem .

Lets run though some basic repair checks .

Repair Mac HD , Check Permissions with the OSX Startup volume.

To check for disk errors and possibly fix issues with the Mac HD volume and other Partitions .

Please run a Mac HD drive repair ,
and Repair Permissions of the Mac HD startup volume .

Disk Utility

1 Start from your newest Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2 When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
(In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)?

Important:- Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer.
If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3 Click the First Aid tab.

4 Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5 Choose your Mac OS X volume.

6 Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. , let it run ,
please run the check twice .

If errors are found and not repaired second time around ,
Report any errors displayed in RED to me .

Tip:- Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
**Perform Disk permission repairs while Booted to your Mac HD as normal**.

Using the Repair Privileges Utility

For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, open Disk Utility found in the Applications/Utilities folder.

Select your Mac OS X startup volume in the column on the left of the Disk Utility window, then click the First Aid tab.

Click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Please wait while the Mac HD is checked.

If errors are found please run the check twice .

-

Permissions Defined
Mac OS X incorporates a subsystem based on a UNIX-style operating system that uses permissions in the file system.
Every file and folder on your hard disk has an associated set of permissions that determines who can read, write to, or execute it.

-

Next up system maintenance:

Please try using ONYX to repair clean and check all OSX caches , font caches and other maintenance scripts .
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/onyx.html

About OnyX
A multifunction utility for Mac OS X.

It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock and of some of Apple’s own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.

Extra tools:

We can use this tool below to cleanup the font caches including MS office font caches etc .

FontNuke
http://www.jamapi.com/pr/fn/

FontNuke is a utility application for Mac OS X Tiger / Leopard / Snow Leopard that removes corrupt / troublesome font cache files.

-

Also its best to get a full disk repair tool for future use :-

Drive genius may have prevent this problem as it seems your Mac HD had an error that needed to be fixed , Apple disk utilities is a basic application not intended for major disk error repairs or testing :-

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/drive_genius.php?PHPSESSID=d0291636841b25cf082e211e2d6def53

-

Also please download and install this handy maintenance widget for the Dashboard in OSX , and run the repair scripts one at a time , daily , weekly , monthly :-

http://www.bradflaugher.com/MaintenanceWidget.html

Now run some tests with your software and see if there's a difference ?

If there's still no difference with your issue? We can move on to testing the issue with a new user account to troubleshoot , or a full "archive and install" of the Mac OSX OS if needed , followed by a complete Combo update of the OSX OS .

If the computer has no data you need on it or you can backup your data , i recommend an erase and install . If you have an upgrade disk for 10.5 and not a full retail 10.5 disk then you may have to install 10.4 erase install first and then update to 10.5 as before .

Please provide all details of the remaining problem if any after the repairs are carried out to the Mac HD OSX installation , including what applications are affected .

Check you have all your ilife disks software disks and data backed up if you choose to reinstall from scratch . Also very very clean OSX install disks .

Please let me know if you need any extra info regarding the above?

I will give full instructions to do so if necessary.

If you can get booted after the disk repairs , please use Apple menu Software update to install all updates available . Update and reboot , and update reboot until all updates are installed . Once updated fully please run though the repairs and permissions test again to make sure all is OK with the OSX install.

Repair permissions for Mac HD while normally booted if possible and not from the install DVD. Disk uittilty found in Applcations folder / utilities folder .

I hope this helps .

Thanks.

Edited by iteachmac on 7/2/2010 at 12:01 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a question regarding disk utility with install dvd
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.
Ok fire away ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
None of what you recommended worked now it won't even boot up in safe mode...... What now?
Expert:  iteachmac replied 4 years ago.

Hi ,

If none of what i recommenced worked , then there is a big issue .

These checked and repairs are basic and beneficial to the install .

The repairs and checks are carried out as a maintenance routine when problems arise , or preventative maintenance . There should be no problems booting or running repairs and checks .

As they have failed there is a problem either with the install itself , or hardware .

Did you get booted to the DVD make repairs and reboot ?

Where there errors in RED ? If there were there is a problem .
Disk related , or Errors with files , damaged , missing or otherwise .

I would advise you need to reinstall OSX , and check the Mac HD is working correctly . . With a tool such as Drive genius as outlined before . Only a Scan of the Mac HD checking for bad blocks can check for issues with the HDD media .

ALT:
There has been a problem on the update to 10.5 or on the original install it self , leading to these issues. . Mac OSX install is a very important task that needs to complete 100% with no errors . Media needs to be 100% , Install disks need to be 100% . Do not skip the DVD verify when installing . The installer must complete 100% .

If you cant get booted to the Install DVD , without crashes , then there is a hardware issue . and a repair to the Mac would need to be undertaken .

You have not given me much to work with to write my reply , and diagnose.

ALT2 :
One possible hardware problem can be installed memory .
You can try removing any upgraded memory back to the default , then the Mac may start working again . Even so i would still recommend once the computer is stable and running ok , to reinstall OSX again , fully .

I hope this helps .

Thanks.