Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Hi, Looking for help with a syncing problem with my iphone

Looking for help with a syncing problem with my iphone 3GS. I did the new 4.0 software update that was released at the end of June with no problems. But then replaced my 3GS due to a crack in the shell yesterday and when I tried to sync last night, the software on the new phone is older than the software on my computer. It stated that I couldn't back up my phone from previous sync so I had to sync the phone as a "new phone". After doing that, I keep getting error messages and it's only downloading partial information. Alot of my calendar is missing, as well as many phone numbers.

I had also just done a hard drive back up and Time Machine back up the day before but I'm not familiar with how Time Machine works exactly. I've tried going back to restore my computer to the day I know everything was working properly but I'm still getting error messages.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robin
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Good day,

This error is a result of the fact that you do not have the 4.0 software update on the 'new' iPhone.

Once you update to OS version 4.0, you WILL be able to restore your iPhone from one of your iPhone backups in iTunes.

Procedure:
- Open iTunes
- Plug your iPhone into your MAC
- Choose to upgrade your IOS to 4.0
- Click File > Restore
- Choose a an earlier date that you know was working
- Restore to that time period.

Please, udpate me on your status if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you // Peace.
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry but this problem is not resolved because I did download the updated 4.0 software during the initial sync. When I initially plugged my phone in it said to set up my phone as a New phone, rather than backing up from previous phone. So I set up as new, and I also installed the 4.0 software update at the same time. Everything has been updated. The problem is that it has deleted most of my calendar and I'm not able to find another copy on my computer, even on my Time Machine back up. (which is a new process for me). I'm wondering if it's a MobileMe issue with syncing, Time Machine issue or difference of software issue upon syncing new phones? Either way, I'm lost without my calendar!
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
In iTunes, click on FIle/iTunes, then Restore.

- Choose a date before you got your new iPhone and restore to that time.