Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

I have a Belkin N+ router. All has been well until today.

Customer Question

I have a Belkin N+ router. All has been well until today. The modem and internet lights flash yellow and I can't get on the internet. Yet when I connect directly to my computer with the ethernet cable I am able to get on line. What next?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).

Ok, please unplug and replug the power on the wireless router and the Internet Modem and report back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that already. Do you want me to do it again, even though the ethernet isn't connected to it?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean when you say the "ethernet"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The cable from the modem to the router. Currently I have it connected directly from modem to IMAC bypassing router.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Yes reconnect ethernet cable from modem to router. then power off router and power back on holding the reset button for 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I do that, I will lose my connection with you. Won't I? My original problem was I couldn't get on the internet.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I am assuming you are trying to get your wireless router working?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I am. BUt, the problem with the router was not allowing me internet access. The only reason I have it now is because I have bypassed the router. If I plug the router back in to the cable I will lose internet again. Or am I not understanding what it is you are asking me to do?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
You need to reset the wireless router. As I mentioned earlier.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please bare with me,sir. I don't find a reset button on this router. I only have one button on it. It says WPS. Is that it?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Look in the back. It may be recessed. You may need to use a pencil to access it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it. Thx
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Great. This should bring it back to factory settings.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It didn't work. Still have the flashing yellow modem and internet lights.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Is the "phone/coax" cable connected to the modem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Before I contacted you, I had Comcast check the modem. It's receiving just fine.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Where are the lights which you are referring to, on the router or the modem?

Please select accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The router
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok then. The issue must be with the cable from the modem to the router. do you have another cable you can try?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
BTW - Did you already reset the router before I suggested?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think I do. But if that were the problem wouldn't it still be preventing me from getting online? I'm using the same cable from the modem to the computer.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
You need to connect that cable to the router. Then use wireless and/or use another cable form the router to your computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I hadn't tried the reset until you suggested it. And, I'm sorry, I just don't understand. I originally had it hooked up the way you are now suggesting. Cable to router and wireless to computer. That's where the problem exists. As soon as I hook up to the router, I get the yellow lights and lose internet access.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Then you need to setup the router and/or the router is faulty. It's easier to do this pugged into the router with an ether net cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I'm more inclined to think the router is faulty then. It just started happening today. It has worked fine for the last year and a half or so. Comcast suggested a firmware update. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I would not do that unless you are comfortable with doing so. Sounds like you don't have another ethernet cable?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I don't.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest getting one and then get back to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do that. Thanks.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Good luck~
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Pal. I totally forgot to answer. Problem was solved but I had to go to Brlkin Support to get it straightened out. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much!