Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

Why is my Belkin N+ router not connecting wirelessly?

Customer Question

I have a Belkin N+ router. All has been well until today. The modem and internet lights flash yellow and I can't get on the internet. Yet when I connect directly to my computer with the ethernet cable I am able to get online. What next?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).
Ok, please unplug and re-plug the power on the wireless router and the Internet Modem and report back to me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I did that already. Do you want me to do it again, even though the ethernet isn't connected to it?

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

What do you mean when you say the "ethernet"?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The cable from the modem to the router. Currently I have it connected directly from modem to IMAC bypassing router.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Yes reconnect ethernet cable from modem to router. Then power off router and power back on holding the reset button for 10 seconds.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I do that, I will lose my connection with you. Won't I? My original problem was I couldn't get on the internet.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

I am assuming you are trying to get your wireless router working?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I am. But, the problem with the router was not allowing me internet access. The only reason I have it now is because I have bypassed the router. If I plug the router back in to the cable I will lose internet again. Or am I not understanding what it is you are asking me to do?

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

You need to reset the wireless router. As I mentioned earlier.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Please bare with me. I don't find a reset button on this router. I only have one button on it. It says WPS. Is that it?

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Look in the back. It may be recessed. You may need to use a pencil to access it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Got it. Thx
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.
Great. This should bring it back to factory settings.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It didn't work. Still have the flashing yellow modem and internet lights.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Is the "phone/coax" cable connected to the modem?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. Before I contacted you, I had Comcast check the modem. It's receiving just fine.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Where are the lights which you are referring to, on the router or the modem?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The router
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Ok then. The issue must be with the cable from the modem to the router. Do you have another cable you can try?

BTW - Did you already reset the router before I suggested?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't think I do. But if that were the problem wouldn't it still be preventing me from getting online? I'm using the same cable from the modem to the computer.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

You need to connect that cable to the router. Then use wireless and/or use another cable form the router to your computer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, I hadn't tried the reset until you suggested it. And, I'm sorry, I just don't understand. I originally had it hooked up the way you are now suggesting. Cable to router and wireless to computer. That's where the problem exists. As soon as I hook up to the router, I get the yellow lights and lose internet access.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Then you need to setup the router and/or the router is faulty. It's easier to do this pugged into the router with an ethernet cable.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, I'm more inclined to think the router is faulty then. It just started happening today. It has worked fine for the last year and a half or so. Comcast suggested a firmware update. Any thoughts?

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

I would not do that unless you are comfortable with doing so. Sounds like you don't have another ethernet cable?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I don't.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.
I would suggest getting one and then get back to me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will do that. Thanks.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 6 years ago.

Good luck.