loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.

I am new to mac. laptop running slow, used cleanmymac, is there

I am new to mac. laptop running slow, used cleanmymac, is there malware for osx?
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John.

The amount of malware and viruses written for OS X can literally be counted on one hand. They are so few and far between that most folks don't even bother installing anti-virus software for Mac. However, this is not to say that your Mac isn't capable of passing along a virus received through email. So, software such as Intego Virus Barrier can alert you if they've found such a virus and prevent it from being sent along to other unwilling recipients.

AVG is not compatible with Mac. They may decide later to port their version of software over to the Mac, but currently they do not offer it for our platform.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for suggesting Intega. My mac began to have problems after my husband used it to access his Facebook account. I am taking an online college course and need my mac to be in top form. I am very frustrated at how slow it is loading, and have been trying to go through the "what to do" list.
I would also suggest you try using other web browsers. For instance, if you're using Safari, try Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com).

Also, if you aren't in the practive of doing so, I would highly recommend you run a "Repair Disk Permissions" every month or so. Here are instructions for doing this:

Repairing Disk Permissions
------------------------------------

1) Close any/all applications, programs, etc.

2) Open the Disk Utility by selecting Applications -> Utilities -> and then Disk Utility

3) From the left pane toward the top, select Macintosh HD (or whatever name you've called it if changed from default)

4) From the right pane toward the bottom, select the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. Once complete, reboot your Mac.

Note: This process can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or so. Things that can affect the time it takes Repair Disk Permissions to complete:

* Whether you've run Repair Disk Permissions or not
* How fast your computer is

From my experience, I've seen this utility fix all sorts of issues - anywhere from Applications/Utilities not launching or responding to Mac computers not booting properly. Because of this, I recommend you do this once every couple of months and any time you perform an Apple Software Update.

Regards,

Edited by loadedmind on 7/1/2010 at 7:32 PM EST
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.