loadedmind
loadedmind, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Several years experience as consultant, corporate I.T. & sysadmin.
24048999

I have a new hard drive and am trying to reinstall my Mac Office.

Customer Question

I have a new hard drive and am trying to reinstall my Mac Office. The Installer asks for password, and I keep giving what I thought was my password, but it is rejected. Please help me
Category: Mac
Expert:  loadedmind replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - I'm John.

For resetting your password, you will need the installation disc that was provided with your Mac at the time of purchase.

Insert the disc and reboot your Mac. To ensure the Mac boots from disc, press and hold the letter "c" as you turn on the Mac. Keep holding c until you see the Apple OS X Installer. You can release the C key as soon as the Apple logo appears on the screen. When the window appears, choose your language and click the right arrow.

Click Utilities at the top and choose Reset Password. After you've done this, you should be able to restart your Mac and take the disc out to continue normally.

If the information I've provided meets with your approval and resolves your issue, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know what happened and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have that disk and cannot reboot the system as you suggested.

On my old, discarded hard drive, I downloaded Microsoft without a problem.
It seems as if your Mac is requiring privileges via username/password XXXXX be able to install the software which is actually as designed. This should be the same password XXXXX use to login to your Mac when you power it on. Or do you have your system set to not require a password XXXXX boot?

Before continuing, it would be best if you have a verifiable working backup of your Mac in the event of catastrophe. If you don't have this, continue at your own risk.

End disclaimer.

If you don't have the installation disc, we can still reset the password XXXXX you don't know it. If you'd like to try this, here are the instructions:

You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account again:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

Important NOTE: Please make sure you follow the spacing and special characters exactly as I have typed them out for you. If you don't do this, you may have unexpected behavior occur.

4. After rebooting, you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and continue to operate as normal before.

Regards,