Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

I have an iPad which picks up my w-fi and displays the symobol

Customer Question

I have an iPad which picks up my w-fi and displays the symobol but i cannot access the internet. I use a d-link router
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).

Has the iPad ever worked on Broadband? Also, have you set security on your network?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I only got it yesterday. It worked at my place of work on the wi fi there. Not sure what you mean about if I have set security?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, you need to set up the networking for each network that you connect to. (Some do not have security and then you may not have to do this) Who owns the wireless router where you are trying to connect?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do its a D LINK from Virgin Media. The wi fi is at my home
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Do you have security (WEP/WPA) set on your router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I think so. We have a password XXXXX access it?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you probably do. You need to know what type (WEP/WPA/WPA2) and the password. After you configure these then it should work! :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I set them when we installed the router. I entered the passord to access the wi fi on the ipad and it accepted and displays the wi fi fan symbol but says it the internet is not connected. Do I need to configure the router again??

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
No, make sure you have the correct security implementation first on the iPad. Then reboot your router and try again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Pull the power plug on the router.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I meant how do I ensure I have the correct security implementation on the ipad

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
From the Desktop - Settings\General\Network\WiFi then find your network.

FYI You might want to "Accept". :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It finds the network no problem..... i accept, enter the password XXXXX get the tick and the symbol in the top left hand corner. I have tried rebooting the router several times and each time I try to access Safari it says internet not working.

The ipad does not detect all the numbers in the list on the network page ......router, DNS, Search Domains, Client ID (my iphone picks these up when I accesss the wi fi )

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Did you set the correct sercurity when you setup the iPad to your WiFi network?

ie-WEP, WPA, WPA2