Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

Using Safari as my browser to access my email, I suddenly

Customer Question

Using Safari as my browser to access my email, I suddenly find I am unable to send an email once I have attached a document or photo to it. I hit send and the IMAC (new computer purchased early Jan. 2010) makes that "donk" sound and I am frozen. I can no longer navigate my email at all. In fact, I am unable to even quit that email or Safari without using Force Quit. This problem just developed 2 days ago. Never had it before. (I can still send email attachments when I use Firefox).
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer yet. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later...

First let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Click the "First Aid" tab at the top and run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart and see if the problem persists. If so, let me know and we'll continue to troubleshoot.

Are you experiencing any issues from other websites or just the webmail?

Are you experiencing any other issues on the mac itself?

What type of internet connection do you have?

If I helped, please click ACCEPT. Otherwise I do not get paid. If you still need assistance or have further questions, I'll be glad to keep working until this issue is resolved.
FEEDBACK & Bonuses are always appreciated!
PLEASE, BEFORE leaving Negative Feedback,
allow me the chance to respond here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you suggested but I still have the problem. In fact, the freezing up of email happens as soon as I click on the Attach button.

OTHER Questions answered
I've had no other problems on websites, just webmail.

I have a DSL line -- email thru att.net
Other recent issues:
I felt that the computer is a little slow to boot up upon starting.

Also, when I put it to sleep for a while, I'd could not get the screen to come awake again with just the touch of the mouse as it had previously. This issue happened before the attachment problem
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.

Were there any errors corrected when performing the Permissions Repair?

Let's dig a little deeper into the repair of the Mac now that it looks like the issue may be two-fold. The following should correct some of the issues you are having with lag and startup. This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference. Also, it will require a USB keyboard, not a wireless keyboard.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Next, try Safari again. If it is better, let me know and we'll stop here. If it is still giving you the same issues, the problem may be with Safari itself.

Before we go any further, I would suggest (not a requirement, but a strong suggestion) you use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) to create a restorable backup of your Hard Drive to an empty USB External Hard Drive. This free program will make a mirrored copy of your hard drive in it's current state that you can go back to if things go south after the following changes. I do this personally before I perform any kind of install, update or major change to my system. Again, you DO NOT have to do this, but if you have an empty external hard drive, then it is a good idea. Highly recommended, but not required. If you do decide to go this route, let me know and I'll walk you through the procedure.

The next step would be to reinstall Safari.

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Test Safari now, if better, stop here. Otherwise, read on and we'll dig even deeper.

If you are still experiencing the same issues, then the next step would be to rule out the user account. Create a temporary admin account to see if the issue is occurring system wide or is user specific This will help narrow down the troubleshooting.
1) Go to System Preferences / Accounts
2) Create this temporary account by clicking on the + button. Make sure you make it an admin account.
3) You may have to click the "lock" in the bottom left corner first though.
4) Once you have this new account created, log in to it and test your Safari issues there. Let me know if the issue occurs here as well. We'll tackle the next step if we haven't resolved it before now.

allow me the chance to respond here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I reset the PRAM (just heard two chimes before the sign in screen appeared). That alone didn't solve the problem. I also don't have a USB external hard drive to make a copy of Hard Drive which makes me nervous "if things go south"

Also, I can't stay at the computer another half hour right now, I have an appt. Can I contact you later after I have had time to try the Safe Boot?
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
I am about to head out for lunch. Will return in about an hour. Please post any questions here and I'll respond asap.

As far as getting back to me later, just bookmark this page and return at your convenience here. Don't open a new question, just continue this thread. That way your account is not accessed for another deposit on a new quesiton. We'll keep it going here until we get it resolved or you get sick of me. Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Travis, Are you there today? I just got back to the computer. Now I am worried about reinstalling Safari without backing up my hard drive, which I can't do.
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
Yes, by reinstalling, you'll likely lose any bookmarks and settings you have in Safari. Unfortunately, at this point, this may be the only option besides moving to Firefox (which is a much better browser in my opinion).

I do suggest you start backing up your hard drive. The Carbon Copy Cloner thing is a must for any Mac Owner. Trust me, you'll thank me later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
some new developments.. This afternoon I hauled the IMAC over to the Apple store and asked a "genius."
Nothing he could do fixed the problem. Once I attach something to an email using Safari, it freezes up.

He said it's not a hardware problem. He was stumped. He said perhaps the latest version (Safari 5.0 recently released) is incompatible with Yahoo mail??

He didn't think that re-installing Safari would cause me to lose anything on my hard drive. He suggested I use the installer disk that came with the computer. His other suggestion was to just switch to using Firefox.

What should do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Travis,
I solved the problem! I was reading forums "Safari for Mac" on the Apple Support website. It seems others have been having this problem and it has to do with some glitch with the "browserplus" application. The advice was to uninstall this app. (Like another poster, I first tried disabling browserplus, but that didn't clear up my issue -- it didn't work for him either.) Uninstalling was the key. I read that there is a "patch available for browserplus but at this point I was so frustrated, I didn't want to fool with it. I just wanted it gone.

Thanks for you attempts to help me. Do I owe you something for your time?
Expert:  Travis replied 4 years ago.
I am so glad you worked it out. I have not yet heard of the "browserplus" error. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask for me by name. I'd be glad to try to help again in the future.

As far as owing me anything for my time, that's up to you. The question will time out if an answer is not "accepted". At that time your deposit will return to your account.

THanks again for the chance to help. Sorry we didn't get there sooner. I would suggest, one last time, that you make the switch to Firefox. It's a much more reliable and robust browser than Safari. I think you'd be happy as soon as you got used to it.