Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a an imovie troubleshooting quwstion, can you help

Customer Question

I have a an imovie troubleshooting quwstion, can you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Daniel :

Hello, my name is Dan.

Daniel :

Can you tell me the version of Mac OS X you are using? And the version of iLife/iMovie?

How large is this project, and have you made very many projects in iMovie? I ask this so I know about where you are in terms of experience.

Customer:

Customer:

My MAC is MACOSX 10.5.8

Customer:

I am not sure about the version of imovi, but it looks like the latest version

Customer:

are you there?

Customer:

This is my first imovie project

Customer:

But I came pretty far along into the project and themn suddenly I could drag and drop titles onto the video

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I do believe that you hit the wrong button. So now we will continue this way.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
To find out the version of iMovie, have it open and then click on iMovie in the menubar, then select about iMovie. Let me know what it tells you, all of it please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
imovie08 7.1.4
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
So this is your very first iMovie project, you said in your original question that you had some other projects, I am assuming that those were experiments.
IMovie has a rather shallow learning curve but it can be rather confusing.
This Apple website goes into some detail about iMovie. And will help you immensely as you learn about it.
This explains how it is done, you can find this and many more explanations on how to do things in the help menu for iMovie.

To add titles to a video project:

1. Select a project in the Project Library, and then click Edit Project.

2. Choose Window > Titles, or click the Titles button in the iMovie toolbar.

3. Image of the Titles button
  4. Browse the title styles and choose the one you want.

Move the pointer over any title to see how it looks. If a theme is set for your project, a set of theme-styled titles appears above the standard titles.

5. Add the title to your project by doing one of the following:

• If you want the title to appear directly over your video, drag it to the project, and let it hover over the video where you want it to appear. As the title hovers over the video, a purple shadow appears, representing the frames that the title will cover.

• If you want the title to appear over a solid color or an Apple-designed animated background, drag it between clips or to the beginning or end of your project, and then choose a background.

A blue title icon appears above the video clips to show where the title appears in your video. You can adjust the position of the title at any time.

6. Select the text in the viewer, and then type the text you want to appear.

7. To edit the title’s font, color, size, style, or alignment, click Show Fonts in the viewer.

8. NOTE:You can’t edit the font in theme-styled titles, nor in some animated titles.

9. To preview the title, click the Play button in the upper-right corner of the viewer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already know how to add titles to the video...the problem is that all of sudden I cannot DRAG and DROP the title onto the video. It wont allow it
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the advanced tools turned on or off?

Turning on advanced tools

As you become more familiar with using iMovie, you can turn on advanced tools that let you streamline and speed up your workflow, categorize and filter your video, and unlock extra editing features.

With advanced tools turned on, you can do the following:

• Add video to the end of a project just by selecting it

• Mark video as Favorite, Rejected, or Unmarked just by selecting it

• Tag and filter your video with keywords

• Easily replace a clip in your project with an equal length of video from a selected Event clip

• Add cutaway clips

• Add picture-in-picture clips

• Use green-screen effects to superimpose video over other video clips or animated backgrounds

For more information about using these features after advanced tools are turned on, see Related Topics below.

To turn on advanced tools:

Choose iMovie > Preferences and click General, and then select the checkbox next to Show Advanced Tools.

The following new buttons appear in the iMovie window:

• The Keywords button in the toolbar allows you to tag video with selected keywords.

Image of the Keywords button
  • The Pointer button in the toolbar closes any tool you have open.

Image of the Pointer button
  • The “Filter by Keywords” button below the Event Library shows or hides the “Filter by Keywords” pane, in which you can sort through your video based on keywords.

Image of the Show/Hide Filter Keywords button

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
on
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
I tried doing it in my iMovie, I grabbed the title and dragged it to the window in upper left and positioned it on the clip and dropped it. It then showed up in the preview on the right with text fields.
This is what is not working for you?
To help with that I suggest quitting iMovie and then from the Go menu item in the menu bar and select Home (use column view to make it easy),
graphic
then Library/Preferences, expand that by double clicking the parallel bars in the lower right corner of the preferences list.
graphic
This is the plist you are looking for.
com.apple.iMovie8.plist
Drag that to the desktop and reopen iMovie, now try to add the title as it says to in the help.