VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ and Network+ with more than 18 years in the IT field. Have worked on MAC's since I was 16.
16924516

Ive always had intermittent problems with Mac OS X V10.6.4

Customer Question

I've always had intermittent problems with Mac OS X V10.6.4 finding my HP Officejet Pro L7780 printer. The printer is wirelessly networked to my FIOS Actiontec router. In the past I've been able to delete the printer, reinstall the driver (after checking to see if there is an updated driver), rebooting and reinstalling the printer.

But in the past few weeks I've his a wall. Can someone help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 4 years ago.
Hello, thank you for choosing JustAnswer for your HP support. A few quick questions. Can you see the Printer's IP address? After you have successfully installed the printer, have you reapplied the permissions to the MAC? Some times this is the source of the problem also.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can see the printer's IP address on both the printer and in the FIOS router utility. It is not listed as a printer in the FIOS screen. It is listed as a PC with no name. That is where it is listed as Inactive. As I said it shows up as Active for several minutes if I turn the printers wireless radio off and then on again. So the router can see and respond to it.

I don't know what you mean about reapplying premissions to the MAC (MAC address? or MacIntosh?). Where would I be doing that? On the router or on my Mac? I never had to do that before.
OK. Do you know how to setup printing to IP address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's how I've been setting up the printer: to it's IP address. It used to work but now while it appears to set up the printer, it can't contact it.
OK. Try using the Virtual USD/Firewire Method.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do you do that?
What is the Model of your MAC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MacBookPro2,1

And I'm running Mac OS X V10.6.4
Cool, just connect it the VIA USB cable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The modem is not in a convenient location. There isn't any way to do this wirelessly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see a message here.
OK. Well we will have to get the latest drivers or better yet the Management Software for you Printer from HP. You must completely uninstall the current version. Run your disk utilities afterward and reapply permissions and then reboot. Then install the Management System for your printer.

Now the reason for the Management Software. Is that it offers tools and utilities that will assist you in the management of the printer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have the latest drivers and Management Software.
Really? And it still losses connection? How many Hosts are connected on your Network a of now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As of now there are 3. There can be up to 7. (Neither number includes the printer.)
Please do a complete uninstall. Reapply the permissions, then reinstall.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know what is meant by "reapply the permissions" and I have deleted and readded the printer a dozen times. I assume that is what you mean by uninstall, reinstall.

Where do you apply permissions?
OH, sorry. here are the instructions....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8342.html

You must reapply the Permissions after you uninstall the HP Management Software.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That page shows permissions for disks, folders, and files. How is this done for printers?
Forgive the delay, the JustAnswer Site had to do Backups I guess. Now the link I sent you is where the drivers, files and folder are kept. So Reapplying the Permissions will place the MAC into a "Nominal State." So please do this Sir or Ma'am.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I'm looking for someone familiar with routers HP Officejet Pro's chronic netwroking problems and getting this all to work with my Mac. The guy who answered my problem does not seem familiar at all with Mac Book Pros.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just so you know what the correct answer to my problem was, please refer to the following page: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/Can-t-keep-wireless-all-in-one-on-line/m-p/253467#M12057

It was all about the router reboot. Not about some non-existant permissions page.

And I got the correct answer for free, albeit with a little tenacity with Google.
OK, I see.