Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have lost my ability to access Safaris opening window live

Customer Question

I have lost my ability to access Safari's opening window 'live apple". How can I get it back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ashik :

Hi My Name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Did you mean you lost your home page ?

Customer:

I cannot open it by clicking the Safari icon or accessin git through open window command

Customer:

Yes, the "live Apple" page

Ashik :

Open Safari, click on the Safari menu and click Preferences. In Preferences, click "General" tab and under Home Page option, add this link - http://www.apple.com/startpage/

Restart Safari...let me know how it goes..

Customer:

I did as requested, did not work...it crshed! I am corresponding with you on Firefox will tht affect Safari's actions?

Customer:

What now?!!!!

Customer:

Do I watch for another email or are youcoming back?!!!

Ashik :

Can't you open any websites in Safari ?

Customer:

No, I cannot access it as a browser. I can open windows but not access the internet

Ashik :

Did you updated into Safari 5 ?

Customer:

I have run every update that has been found in Update application...I am work in Mac v10.4.11

Ashik :

What version of Safari are you using now ? (Click Safari menu and select "About Safari")

Customer:

V. 4.1

Customer:

I am not in Leopard!!!

Ashik :

I will be back in 5 minutes..answering other questions in here.

Customer:

You have got to be kidding?!!!!!

Ashik :

nope, i'm now answering three questions at the same time. Will reply back in 5 minutes. Please stay online..

Ashik :

I'm back..okay we can first try to reset the Preferences of Safari and see if that helps or not..

Close Safari and goto Macintosh HD/Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences folder and move the file "com.apple.safari.plist" into desktop.

(Macintosh HD is your hard disk...)

Now open Safari..Does that worked ?

Customer:

I did as instructed above and it still does not open!

Ashik :

Trash Safari from Applications folder and download and install Safari for Tiger from here : http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/Safari4/061-7785.20100311.TgrS4/Safari4.0.5Tiger.dmg

Ashik :

Let me know how it goes..

Customer:

I did as suggested....trshed app. SAfari....emptied the trash...downloaded and tried to install the new Safari from link....am getting the message that the Hard Drive will not allow installation because there is a newer version of Safari on disk. I have pulled up SAfari on Spotlight and cannot see a Safari except the dmg that I am working with

Ashik :

Hi, Sorry for the delayed response...Once you installed new Safari, its hard to downgrade and mainly it won't allow to downgrade. You can Force install Safari 4 Tiger Edition. So first download and install Pacifist (use this app to Force Install Safari) from here : http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg (Just use the trial version). In Pacifist, load the Safari 4 package you downloaded earlier, and Pacifist will load Safari. In Pacifist, click the Install button. If Pacifist asks the'Applications already exists, need to replace ?' choose Yes and continue. Let me know how it goes..