Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have an old eMac that keeps asking me for a name and password

Customer Question

I have an old eMac that keeps asking me for a name and password XXXXX WebDAV System Authentication. I've long forgotten both name and password. Is there anyway to get rid of this? The box pops up constantly.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

Are you a .Mac or Mobile Me user ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had a free trial but never signed up.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Have you used that Free Trial on your Mac ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I may have signed up for it, not knowing what it was.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay.. I think your Mac wants to connect into Mobile Me's iDisk, thats why the pop-up appearing for asking username and password.

So goto XXXXX (From Apple menu or dock) and select .Mac or Mobile Me, then turn off anything under iDisk or just sign-out if you can see Sign Out or Log Off in there.

let me know if that works or not..

Best Regards,

Edited by Ashik on 7/1/2010 at 1:17 PM EST
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Ashik. It won't let me do anything w/o correct name and password.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately try to do it before the box appears.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I'm waiting for your reply..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry. I restarted it but nothing changed. I'm going to be away from my desk for 3 hrs now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Okay..and please answer this when you're back.

Can you see a iDisk icon on your desktop or in Finder ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. There is an iDisk icon on the desktop. When I click on it a number of folders appear, but they are "only available when my iDisk is online."
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Drag that iDisk icon trash...let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It won't go into the trash!
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We can delete the iDisk mirror files and then try to turn it off.

1. Goto the Home folder from the finder.
2. Open the Library folder and locate the "Mirrors" folder. If you are able to find it, then trash it and also empty the trash.
3. Restart your computer

Disable Automatic Syncing iDisk

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences (or open from the Dock).
2. Click the .Mac icon and click the iDisk tab.
4. Click Stop to turn off iDisk Syncing.
5. Close the System Preferences.
6. Restart your computer.

Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry Ashik, I guess this is "stump the expert." I threw away the Mirrors folder, emptied the trash etc. However, iDisk is still asking for a valid password XXXXX id.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
We can try it again, but now in Safe Mode..

Restart in SafeMode
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac bootup...

Once you booted into Safe Mode, try to trash the Mirrors folder, iDisk icon before the box appears. Do it as fast as possible...Let me know..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It won't boot in SafeMode so I started it up as usual. The Mirrors folder and iDisk icon are gone, but I still can't click on Stop as it wants the password XXXXX
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a OS X Tiger Install DVD. Will that work? Right now it is running OS X 10.4.11.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes it'll work. You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one. So it'll fix the iDisk issue without much difficulty.

Archive and Install : Read More (please read it carefully)

Once you did Archive and Install, update your softwares using Apple > Software Update..

Best Regards,