Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Hi there, I want to trasnfer my iphoto library which I hold

Hi there, I want to trasnfer my iphoto library which I hold on an external hard drive to my desktop to replace the existing iphoto library. How do I do this? Also how do I delete some of the rolls which are duplicated before transferring them to my desktop?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you

What version of iPhoto are you using ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there 6.0.6
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
To make sure-- You want to delete the current iPhoto library from your Internal hard disk, then put the iPhoto library from your external hard disk to your Internal hard disk. Right ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes....but before I import the photos from the external hard drive I wanted to delete some of the rolls of photos on the external hard drive iphoto library which are duplicated
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...First we can transfer the iPhoto library to your Internal hard drive from External HD, then you can delete the duplicates.

Okay..In your Internal HD, goto Macintosh HD > Users > home folder > Pictures folder and you can see the iPhoto library in there. Just trash it (don't empty the trash). Then copy your iPhoto library from your external hd to the Pictures folder in your Internal HD. Let me know once you did that...

(only click accept after we solved the problem)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok have done that - as far as copying the iphoto library from the external hard drive to the pictures folder in the internal HD i just dragged and dropped it and it said copying....hope that is right.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You did right. Does it finished copying ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Now open iPhoto while holding down the Option key. When you get the Library manager window, select "Choose Library" and select your iPhoto Library in Pictures folder. let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok its opened up iphoto library with all my albums on the left but no photos in the library....i have to say that last night i tried to do this same way and I could only see the thumbnails but not see the individual photos so at one point I selected all and deleted (as i wanted to reimport everything) so not sure if that is why it is not showing anything in the library....however I have checked the iphoto library itself on the external hard drive and now on in the Pictures folder on the internal hard drive and all the folders and photos are there so not sure why its not showing any photos in iphoto itself.......
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Open iPhoto library, can you see a folder named Originals inside it ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes originals and data are both there and all the folders within them
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Can you see all your Pictures in Originals folder ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i can
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Drag the Originals folder from the Library to your desktop. Then open iPhoto while holding down the Option key. Choose create new library and create a new library.Now you'll get a blank library. Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok done that, created iphoto library-2
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hide iPhoto or minimize it to dock. Drag the Originals folder from desktop to the iPhoto icon in the desktop. iPhoto will import all your Photos into the new library. Let me know..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i am waiting for it to download over 11000 photos, there is currently around 8000 remaining......some of these were duplicates (for example due to past messing around, some rolls appear in 2003 and 2004 or I have duplicates of some rolls in the same year) which is why I wanted to delete the duplicated rolls before importing them into the library.....what is the best way to do this afterwards as they are using up unneccesary space....I know deleting them in iphoto doesn't delete the original file so should I delete them from the Originals folders?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can manually remove from Originals folder before importing or you can use this app, Duplicate Annihilator : http://www.brattoo.com/propaganda/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you and if i manually remove from originals folder do I have to also remove from Data folder?
the library is still downloading, 6000 photos left.....it is currently not showing my albums on the left will it do so once it has downloaded all the photos?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Not sure, but you may need to do it, because all the edited or original photos will also goes into Data folder.

Sorry, It might not show your Albums or Events because the old library is messed up and we just used a trick to recover your photos into new library.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so it has downloaded all the photos but sadly I have lost all the albums i had created on the left :-(

a few questions

1-why did we drag the originals folder to the desktop first before dragging to iphoto icon? and should i now drag it back into the pictures folder?
2-what should i do with the first iphoto library which was blank but had the list of albums on the left? what if i dragged the originals folder into that wouldn't I then get the library and the albums?
3-should i rename the new iphoto library which is currently called iphoto library-2 (that is remove the first one which had a problem and rename the new one) or will that mess things up?
4-at the end of the download i got the following message...unable to import the following files:
/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/.HFS+ Private Directory Data
/dir_1398611/Non-Allocatable Space
/dir_1400010/Archive.zip
/dir_1400815/Wedding prof sharpened/Sharpened images/Sharpened/9x6-Sharpened/Thumbs.db
/dir_2416343/Archive.zip
Does this mean anything to you?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

All your imported photos are saved on Originals folder...we dragged to desktop to make it easy for you. You can now trash the originals folder from Desktop (make a backup to external drive frist) and no need to drag it back to Pictures folder.

We can try to rebuild that Library, a rebuild may fix it. But if anything goes wrong in rebuild process, you'll lose all your Pictures. So thats why we backed up the Originals folder in a new library. I think you wouldn't get your albums back, because the problem is with the library and not with Originals folder.

You can rename it, it won't mess things up. Once you rename it, you have to choose in iPhoto by holding down the Option key while opening iPhoto.

4. Well, i don't have an answer for Question 4, because i don't what it is...Sorry.

So now, we can rebuild your first library. Open iPhoto while holding down the Option key. When you get the Library manager window, select "Choose Library" and select your old iPhoto Library (Library 1) in Pictures folder. You'll get the corrupted library, now close iPhoto and rebuild it.

Rebuild iPhoto Library
  1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process. This may take a while to complete.
Please let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there
Thanks for the answers....I trashed the Originals folder from the desktop after making sure the copy on the hard drive is still intact....

I tried to rebuild the first library but the library is still empty :-( no photos but I have a list of all the albums on the left...should I trash this library then??

Also with library-2 which now houses all my photos when I go into the Originals folder and into each year's folder, where before I had given names to each roll for example Paris 2010 now each folder just has a number such as this dir_1406892 and no longer a name....is it normal to lose the roll names in the process?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the trash the first library, its useless now. Yes, i think iPhoto uses its own name for its photos, so that is normal. But I'm glad that atleast we recovered the photos...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX trashed the empty one and renamed no 2 so its just 'iphoto library' I will have to recreate my albums which is a pain but at least I have the photos on my desktop now.

I am a bit annoyed that it has changed the name of the rolls as it makes it hard to know what each one is. Can I go into the Originals folder and rename the rolls to help identifying them easier or will that mess up the link to iphoto?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Its not a good idea to rename it because if you rename it iPhoto will not be able to locate the photos. But you can try it, i hope it won't mess up. And backup that library before renaming, so if anything goes wrong you can just restore it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help

just one last question, if i delete unwanted photos in iphoto it doesn't delete them from Originals folder does it? ie you still waste memory space with the file in Originals even though you delete from iphoto application?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it'll also delete from Originals folders.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh really that's good to know i thought it didn't

thanks again for your help
I will accept answer now

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome ! Let me know if you need any help !

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions...

Edited by Ashik on 7/1/2010 at 8:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry one last question I promise!

I just remembered that I have my iphoto library with all the albums on my iphone as well. If I sync my iphone with my desktop will I get the original iphoto library and all my albums back or is the copy kept on iphone a much lower quality copy and therefore not suitable?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I think there'd be some problem, if you sync your iPhone then all the photos or library on your iPhone will be replaced with the new Library you created.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc