Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products

Hello, I went to save a word document on my mac computer and

Customer Question

I went to save a word document on my mac computer and the following message came up

'The disk is full trying to write to Mac HD: Free some space on this drive, or save the document on another disk. Try one or more of the follwoing:
-Close any unneeded documents, programs and windows
-Save the document on another disk.'

My HD has 54GB Free, so confused why this problem occured. Tried saving work onto usb stick and same message came up, help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Thank You for letting me assist you with your issue(s).

When you come back online, please let me a "Hello" and I will be happy to assist you.

Edited by Richard on 7/1/2010 at 12:05 PM EST
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HELLO!

Where is my reply please?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Have you been able to successfully save documents before? Have you recently installed any new programs to your system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have been able too save before. No new programs installed recently.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, please try this. Create a new document, type one sentence and then save as a new document name.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did this last night and it worked. At work at the moment so unable to try again at this time sorry.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, more than likely there is a problem with the original/working document. You might try to cut and paste to a new file and see if this works. Otherwise you will need to create an entirely new word document. Let me know what happens.

I'll be awaiting your reply.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried cutting and pasting into both a blank document and saving last night, as well as cutting and pasting into an existing document, didn't work.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then you will have to recreate the document from scratch. The file is corrupt. This happens on occasion with MS Word.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Also, if you’re working on a document that has headers and footers with page fields in them, do your editing in Normal view, and you’ll likely never hit the “Disk is full” error on save.

The error is caused by having too many temporary files open, which is in turn caused by Word trying to maintain the stack (or list) of Undo actions available.

Edited by Richard on 7/1/2010 at 1:15 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that's fine if it's just the one doc, so you are confident this will not happen on every
word document i am working on? Is there any reason why then the only way i could keep a record of the document was to create a pdf of it?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I am confident that this is a random issue. Now that you are aware, save your work flow at regular intervals. Also, you may create different files names as you progress.

This will allow you to go back to a file that is usable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I really hope so. Will advise if this problem has a relapse on other word documents.
Thank you!
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! And, have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do, I click accept before we even wrote to each other and have been sent an email from Just answer saying it has been taken out of my account, which is fine... assume I don't press accept again?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Yes. You are good, no need to accept again.