MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I tried to install Mac OS x tiger 10.4 on a macbook pro 15

I tried to install Mac OS x tiger 10.4 on a macbook pro 15 2,2 but the computer does not recognize the disk. it shows a folder with a question mark on it. tried bothholding the c key while starting and inserting disc after the computer was on. same result.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What type of disc is the Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger- Is it a retail disc or a restore disk?
(For example, a restore disk is an installation disk that comes with a Mac computer or notebook. A retail disk on the other hand, is a Mac OS X install disk that is purchased from a store.)

• Does the message you see when trying to install Mac OS X, say something to the effect of "not a compatible package"?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I HAVE A RETAIL DISC. ALL I"M GETTING IS A FOLDER WITH A QUESTION MARK ON IT. NO MESSAGE

Thanks for your reply.

This issue may be possibly with your hard drive not allowing you to boot to the installation disk.

What I would like to have you do is first check the integrity of your hard drive to make sure it is working. Once I can know your hard drive is ok, then I will have you attempt to use some steps to re-install your Mac OS X Tiger software.

- USING FSCK COMMAND TO VERIFY AND REPAIR DISK-
Start up your computer in Single-User Mode to reach the command line by doing this:
•Make sure your Mac is shutdown.
• Reboot your Mac
• When Mac starts up, press the Apple Command key+ S Key
- A black screen, with white text appears
• At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy
• Press Return.

--fsck will run through a series of tests and will return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. When completed, it will display this message if no issue is found:

The volume (name_of_your_Mac_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning, until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

• When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

• This last command after completing the fsck process, is going to attempt to boot your Mac to the main desktop.

I will watch for your update. Thanks

-Terry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

NOTHING HAPPENS. JUST THE FLASHING FOLDER WITH A QUESTION MARK ON IT

that is what I was suspecting.

What this means is that your hard drive may have failed, because it is not being recognized even with a command-line tool like fsck, which almost always provide access, even if the hard drive is not functioning in any normal boot up capacity.

In the case of a hard drive failure, however, the flashing folder is an example no activity coming from either a failed Mac OS X volume, or worse yet, a bad hard drive.

I believe it would be best for you to take your Macbook Pro in for service to your local Apple Retail Store Genius bar or Apple-authorized service center and at least have a diagnostics performed on your Macbook Pro.

I have seen this issue too often and a flashing folder on your Macbook Pro, needs to be diagnosed by a certified Mac technician, especially because these models contain some of the most sensitive components.

Just for your reference, I have taken the liberty to provide the store locator links to your local Apple Retail store as well as a general store locator for locating any local Apple Authorized Service center in your area.

Apple Retail Store (Genius bar)

Apple Authorized Service Provider

Please let me know if you have any more questions, I will definitely be glad to answer them for you, but I will also add that this is my best answer, given the symptoms of your Macbook Pro issue.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,

-Terry