David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.
32665769

Greetings, My entire I-tunes librabry and playlists have

Customer Question

Greetings,

My entire I-tunes librabry and playlists have been deleted. I have a 2 TB apple timemachine and have backups of the data, but I lack the technical ability to restore my i-tunes music from my timemachine to my I-tunes library. Can you provide the instructions on how I restore my I-tunes music from my backup....specifically, how to navigate to my itunes backup and how to restore the music to my itunes. My wife and 4 children are desperate to get the data restored. Cheers, Brian
Category: Mac
Expert:  David Kirk replied 6 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question.

To restore specific files or folders.
  1. Connect your backup disk.
  2. Click the Time Machine icon in the Dock and the Time Machine restore interface appears.
  3. You can use the timeline on the right side of the window to reach a certain point back in time and to select your iTunes folder in Music->iTunes Library.
  4. You can also perform a Spotlight search in the Time Machine Finder Window search field to find a file. Simply type iTunes in the Spotlight search field and use the back arrow to have Time Machine search through your backups to find what you are looking for.
  5. Before you restore a file, you can also use Quick Look to preview a file to make sure its the one you want. Highlight the file and press the Space Bar to bring up a preview.
  6. To restore, select the file/folder and click the "Restore" button. The file will automatically be copied to the desktop or appropriate folder.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so far I have been unable to locate the Itunes folder with my backed up music. How do I locate the timemachine finder window?
You should be able to launch Time Machine from System Preferences.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
launching system preferences only takes me to time machine system preferences vice into the time machine backup information. Is it possible that my itunes library was not backed up by the time machine?
I'm sorry, I'm actually getting in over my head and unfortunately don't have Leopard or Snow Leopard to test with. I'll opt-out so that someone more qualified can assist you.