Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

Everything I scan is HUGE. Too large to send via email. Currently

Everything I scan is HUGE. Too large to send via email. Currently I have a single page scanned and ist 44.4 MB and the page size is 23.6 x 29.94. How do I get them to scan smaller?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Adjust your scan size down before scanning. Then when you save, it may also give you a quality option. The lower quality the smaller the file.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Also, what is your scanner make and model?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think that is the problem because I have a new printer/scanner and its the same problem I had before.

The printer/scanner is: HP Officejet 6500 Wireless
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Tell me step by step what you are doing to scan this document please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put the original document into the auto feeder in the scanner, choose "scan to pdf" file and hit the scan button. Then wait.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, did you install the HP software for this unit? And what Mac OS are mac are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I did install the software for the Mac computer successfully.
Mac OS X 10.4.11
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, go into the HP software and locate the resolutions settings. They need to be reduced and then your file will be smaller after scanning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what they need to be reduced to? Currently they are set at: Photos - 200 and Black and white - 300.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Try 100 for each.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks as if I need to adjust the resolution everytime I scan. Is there a way to make it a default?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I'm looking that up right now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I changed the resolution to 75.. it was reduced to 771 KB, but the page size is still 22.5 x 29.22... its still huge at 100%.
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Change scan settings
To change scan settings
• Windows: Open the HP Solution Center, select Settings, select Scan Settings and
Preferences, then select from the available options and make your selections.
• HP Device Manager (Mac OS X): Launch HP Device Manager, click Information
and Settings, and then select Scan Preferences from the drop-down list.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, reset the resolution from th device manager. How do I change the page size?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
HP Device Manager (Mac OS X): Launch HP Device Manager, click Information
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, nothing is changing the page size and I can't get a single page less than 771 KB. What is the normal size of a single text page scan document to adobe?
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
I have given you all the documentation that is available on the HP website. Do you have logmein?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no logmein
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
Ok, please detail to me your complete scan procedure step by step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, it just worked. I finally got a scan that is 272 KB and 11.25 x 15.29... I just reduced all resolutions to 100 on all options (JPEG, OCR, etc) Its fuzzy now, but at least its smaller.

Scan Procedure:
Put the document on the glass
Push Scan button
Asks for computer - I push "ok"
I choose "PDF to ADOBE READER"
"ok"
and it scans
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 4 years ago.
what do you mean by fuzzy?

-Please accept so I will get paid for this assistance today.
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products