MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

Hello!! I am using Mac OS 10.5.8. I have an iMac with plenty

Hello!! I am using Mac OS 10.5.8. I have an iMac with plenty of memory left. I have been running Corel Painter X for a few years with virtually no problems at all. Suddenly, I cannot launch Painter at all. It keeps telling me "has quit unexpectedly" over and over. It asks if I'd like to reset the preferences in Corel and relaunch. I click ok, but that solves nothing. I have done a repair permissions, have shut down, etc. I don't know if it's Painter or my Mac. Anything I can do??

Tisha Paige
New York
Chat Conversation Started
MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com, I am Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist, glad to assist.

MacTechTrainer :

Have you attempted to re-install Corel Painter X over your existing copy since being unable to launch this application ?

Customer:

No. would i just pop the disc in and let it do it's thing? I don't uninstall the other program?

MacTechTrainer :

Sure, you would not be overwriting the Corel files you created, only the Corel Painter X application itself

Customer:

I will try that and see if it works! I'll let you know.

MacTechTrainer :

If the re-install does not resolve the issue, just let me know and I will provide you another procedure in order to correct this issue.

MacTechTrainer :

And no worries- I will be standing by until you reply back.

MacTechTrainer :

Take your time!

Customer:

thanks!

MacTechTrainer :

Glad to be of service

Customer:

Terry,

MacTechTrainer :

Hello, I am here- how is the reinstall going?

Customer:

Terry, This doesn't seem to have worked. I didn't restart the computer.

MacTechTrainer :

Did the re-install complete and ask you to reboot your Mac or ne?

MacTechTrainer :

"No" - sorry

Customer:

No it didn't prompt me to restart. the reinstall said to be successful.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks that is what I needed to know. Go ahead and reboot your Mac anyway and attempt to launch the Corel Painter X application- let me know if the reboot helps with this new reinstallation's launch.

Customer:

Ok, rebooted. Still will not launch.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for the update. Do you know where on your Mac, your previously created and saved Corel Painter X files are? I am asking because I have a method to help you remove your old Corel Painter X application (still not losing your files) completely and then have you process a brand new a re-installation of your Corel Painter X

Customer:

Are you talking about files like custom brushes/settings and things?

MacTechTrainer :

Actually, your saved files :)

Customer:

(sorry, I'm a little dense) the application files are in the hard drive/ applications folder.

MacTechTrainer :

sometimes with 3rd Party applications on your Mac even though they may work for sometime, issues can result, requiring a remove of the parent application (in this case the Corel Painter X app) and then a reinstallation of that same application in order for it to work correctly

MacTechTrainer :

Then what I would recommend you do just for now is to right click on that folder, copy it and paste it to your desktop. That way you have a backup copy of that Corel Painter X file folder.

MacTechTrainer :

If I may also ask, what version of Mac OS X are you currently using?

Customer:

10.5.8

Customer:

OK. I now have a copy of the folder on my desktop.

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry about that Tisha, I just noticed you did explain you are using Mac OS X 10.5.8 in your initial question. Additionally however you also mentioned that you have been using this application for several years. Sometimes with Mac OS X version upgrades, performance of existing 3rd party applications can be adversely affected over time with newer updates.

Customer:

Yes, I'm aware of that...hoping that's not the case. I know corel often has incompatibilities with Mac OS

MacTechTrainer :

Exactly- so I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that

Customer:

thanks.

MacTechTrainer :

now in regards XXXXX XXXXX process I want to provide you, now that you have a duplicate copy of the Corel folder on your desktop, I would like you to download and install this great Mac software removal application called AppZapper 1.8.

MacTechTrainer :

It is a small application, and does not require alot of space on your Mac's hard drive

Customer:

ok. here goes

MacTechTrainer :

once you install it and have opened it, let me know.

MacTechTrainer :

I will be waiting:)

Customer:

LOL. It's downloaded...and I can't open it! It's got the same exact message "application quit unexpectedly".

Customer:

oh, I clicked on the trial version. is that a problem? I didn't realize.

MacTechTrainer :

Ah in that case, there may be some permissions errors we have to deal with- Tell me, have you already tried using the Disk Repair via Disk Utility, from your Mac OS X 10.5 Installation disc?

Customer:

when I went to disk utility today, disk repair was not "available". (that option was dim). there was a message that said the "disk seems to be working properly." or something like that.

Customer:

oh, not from the installation disk though.

MacTechTrainer :

Correct- Disk Utility does not allow the Repair Disk option from within the same hard drive from the Mac OS X Desktop. The reason why is because it uses the installation disc like a temporary hard drive to repair files on the Mac hard drive itself. In otherwords you cannot repair the same hard drive you are on with Disk Repair.

MacTechTrainer :

So here is the procedure for performing this process:

MacTechTrainer :

-RUN DISK UTILITY WITH STARTUP DISK-

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment
• From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utility run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac

Customer:

ok, i'm printing this. I should mention that I installed updates today.

MacTechTrainer :

Did that include 10.5.8?

Customer:

disc #1 I assume?

Customer:

I don't think that was one of the updates.

MacTechTrainer :

That is correct

Customer:

ok. I'll start this now.

MacTechTrainer :

Ok- I will be awaiting your update--

Customer:

Ok. that's done.

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks Tisha, so I take it there were no errors found, correct?

Customer:

yes, correct

MacTechTrainer :

Ok if you would just once, attempt to launch the Corel Painter X- I would like to see if the disk repair process helped to resolve the launch issues you have been having.

Customer:

sure

Customer:

nope.

Customer:

I downloaded it with no problem. It will not open though.

Customer:

lol

MacTechTrainer :

;)

MacTechTrainer :

Now if this one does not work, I know there is a permissions issue that may be going on

Customer:

Ok. downloaded and seems to be opened. a window with "drive list" at the top is open.

Customer:

k

MacTechTrainer :

Then click the little disclosure arrow under Applications

MacTechTrainer :

it will open up a view in the second window of all applications installed on your Mac

MacTechTrainer :

see if you can locate Corel Painter X

Customer:

k. got it

MacTechTrainer :

Let me know when you do

Customer:

clicked on corel and all it's contents opened in next column

MacTechTrainer :

Now select Corel Painter X and click the Delete button on the bottom left corner

Customer:

ok, that's done

MacTechTrainer :

it will ask you if you want to destroy Corel. It is a strong word, but in lay terms it just means do you want to completely remove all the files for the application from your Mac :)

Customer:

lol. done!

MacTechTrainer :

Now go ahead and re-install your Corel Painter X

MacTechTrainer :

once again

Customer:

ok

Customer:

painter is installed

MacTechTrainer :

Alright, the moment of truth..

MacTechTrainer :

give it shot!

Customer:

k

Customer:

whaa! not working!

MacTechTrainer :

Corel Painter 11.0

MacTechTrainer :

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19294

MacTechTrainer :

Give this trial a try

MacTechTrainer :

I want to see if it works like Corel Painter X

MacTechTrainer :

I am not sure if there is a compatibility issue between Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Corel Painter X- so if you try version 11.0 of Corel, I want to see if it works better with your Mac OS X version.

Customer:

downloading trial

Customer:

well at least corel 11 opened and works!

MacTechTrainer :

Haa haa!

Customer:

lol

Customer:

totally nutty. this is corel's fault.

MacTechTrainer :

It is a shame it took so long to figure that one out- but I truly respect your patience and willingness to allow me to assist you all this time, I feel like we know each other now..

MacTechTrainer :

Not really- but that sounded nice ;)

MacTechTrainer :

lol

Customer:

LOL. you're a riot. I appreciate your persistence. I know now what I must do. ;)

MacTechTrainer :

Glad to be of service- I really enjoyed assisting you. Now we know this is indeed a compatibility issue, not so much with Corel Painter X and Mac OS X 10.5 but with version 10.5.8

MacTechTrainer :

which I have seen alot of previous 3rd party applications not work because of that update unfortunately

Customer:

Guess so! Well thank you and I'll now click that green button below! At least I know who to contact now when I have an issue!

MacTechTrainer :

Mactechtrainer- MacCoach and Sr. Mac Support Specialist at your service!\

MacTechTrainer :

Take care !

Customer:

You too Terry!